Jun 9, 2012, 11:22 AM EDT
After getting shut out for the first time this season by the Rangers last night, the Giants’ lineup is set to get a major boost.
“We think he’s ready,” Bochy said. “With Melky out, sure, that plays a part in it. We’re a little short handed and could use another bat in the lineup.”
Sandoval has been sidelined since undergoing surgery on May 4 to remove a fractured hamate bone from his left hand. He batted .261 (6-for-23) with three homers and two doubles during his minor league rehab assignment, including a pair of home runs with Triple-A Fresno yesterday.
The Giants recently expressed renewed concerns about Sandoval’s conditioning and it’s worth wondering what impact another hamate bone surgery will have on his offensive production, at least in the short-term, but he’ll be a welcome sight at the hot corner this afternoon.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (74)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (70)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (69)