Jun 9, 2012, 11:22 AM EDT
After getting shut out for the first time this season by the Rangers last night, the Giants’ lineup is set to get a major boost.
“We think he’s ready,” Bochy said. “With Melky out, sure, that plays a part in it. We’re a little short handed and could use another bat in the lineup.”
Sandoval has been sidelined since undergoing surgery on May 4 to remove a fractured hamate bone from his left hand. He batted .261 (6-for-23) with three homers and two doubles during his minor league rehab assignment, including a pair of home runs with Triple-A Fresno yesterday.
The Giants recently expressed renewed concerns about Sandoval’s conditioning and it’s worth wondering what impact another hamate bone surgery will have on his offensive production, at least in the short-term, but he’ll be a welcome sight at the hot corner this afternoon.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 29
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 21
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)