Jun 9, 2012, 11:22 AM EDT
After getting shut out for the first time this season by the Rangers last night, the Giants’ lineup is set to get a major boost.
“We think he’s ready,” Bochy said. “With Melky out, sure, that plays a part in it. We’re a little short handed and could use another bat in the lineup.”
Sandoval has been sidelined since undergoing surgery on May 4 to remove a fractured hamate bone from his left hand. He batted .261 (6-for-23) with three homers and two doubles during his minor league rehab assignment, including a pair of home runs with Triple-A Fresno yesterday.
The Giants recently expressed renewed concerns about Sandoval’s conditioning and it’s worth wondering what impact another hamate bone surgery will have on his offensive production, at least in the short-term, but he’ll be a welcome sight at the hot corner this afternoon.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)