Jun 9, 2012, 11:22 AM EST
After getting shut out for the first time this season by the Rangers last night, the Giants’ lineup is set to get a major boost.
“We think he’s ready,” Bochy said. “With Melky out, sure, that plays a part in it. We’re a little short handed and could use another bat in the lineup.”
Sandoval has been sidelined since undergoing surgery on May 4 to remove a fractured hamate bone from his left hand. He batted .261 (6-for-23) with three homers and two doubles during his minor league rehab assignment, including a pair of home runs with Triple-A Fresno yesterday.
The Giants recently expressed renewed concerns about Sandoval’s conditioning and it’s worth wondering what impact another hamate bone surgery will have on his offensive production, at least in the short-term, but he’ll be a welcome sight at the hot corner this afternoon.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 13
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 91
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)