Jun 9, 2012, 12:49 PM EDT
The Tigers have activated Austin Jackson from the 15-day disabled list. He’ll start in center field and bat leadoff this afternoon against the Reds.
Jackson has been sidelined since May 16 due to abdominal strain. He went 1-for-8 with two strikeout and a walk during a brief two-game rehab assignment with Triple-A Toledo and played all nine innings in center field in both games.
Jackson was making some major strides offensively prior to the injury, hitting .331/.414/.544 with five homers, 17 RBI, six stolen bases and a .958 OPS in 36 games. While that’s a small sample, his contact and walk rates are both up so far this year and he has cut down on his strikeouts significantly.
Quintin Berry batted .288 (19-for-66) with a .356 on-base percentage and seven stolen bases while filling in for Jackson, but the 27-year-old speedster will now likely be pushed into a part-time or bench role.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 57
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)