Jun 9, 2012, 12:49 PM EDT
The Tigers have activated Austin Jackson from the 15-day disabled list. He’ll start in center field and bat leadoff this afternoon against the Reds.
Jackson has been sidelined since May 16 due to abdominal strain. He went 1-for-8 with two strikeout and a walk during a brief two-game rehab assignment with Triple-A Toledo and played all nine innings in center field in both games.
Jackson was making some major strides offensively prior to the injury, hitting .331/.414/.544 with five homers, 17 RBI, six stolen bases and a .958 OPS in 36 games. While that’s a small sample, his contact and walk rates are both up so far this year and he has cut down on his strikeouts significantly.
Quintin Berry batted .288 (19-for-66) with a .356 on-base percentage and seven stolen bases while filling in for Jackson, but the 27-year-old speedster will now likely be pushed into a part-time or bench role.
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 0
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 11
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 96
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (96)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)