Jun 9, 2012, 12:49 PM EDT
The Tigers have activated Austin Jackson from the 15-day disabled list. He’ll start in center field and bat leadoff this afternoon against the Reds.
Jackson has been sidelined since May 16 due to abdominal strain. He went 1-for-8 with two strikeout and a walk during a brief two-game rehab assignment with Triple-A Toledo and played all nine innings in center field in both games.
Jackson was making some major strides offensively prior to the injury, hitting .331/.414/.544 with five homers, 17 RBI, six stolen bases and a .958 OPS in 36 games. While that’s a small sample, his contact and walk rates are both up so far this year and he has cut down on his strikeouts significantly.
Quintin Berry batted .288 (19-for-66) with a .356 on-base percentage and seven stolen bases while filling in for Jackson, but the 27-year-old speedster will now likely be pushed into a part-time or bench role.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona