Jun 9, 2012, 5:43 PM EST
According to the Associated Press, Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn owes more than $400,000 in unpaid federal income taxes.
The information was published this morning in the San Diego Union-Tribune, who reported that the government liens involve unpaid taxes from 2003, 2007 and 2009. Gwynn was given a notice last year for $209,156 and another in 2010 for $227,093.
Gwynn recently joined an ownership group led by Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull in an effort to buy majority control of the Padres from John Moores. MLB has a vetting process to evaluate the financial well-being of prospective owners, but assuming Gwynn isn’t one of the major money partners, it shouldn’t have much of an impact on the process.
Gwynn’s tax attorney, Mitch Dubick, told the San Diego Union-Tribune that the Padres’ legend is working on paying the owed taxes in installments.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Belisario served as the White Sox’s closer for part of this season.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
Zeid underwent season-ending foot surgery in July.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:01 PM EST
And it’s not at all clear when or if those experiments will translate into rules changes.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:05 PM EST
Don’t bother unpacking.
Nov 20, 2014, 1:06 PM EST
With the Tigers out, the Jays are in.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:50 PM EST
Presumed front-runners may have changed their minds.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:14 PM EST
Zimmermann has just one season remaining until he’s eligible for free agency and the 28-year-old right-hander is in line for a massive payday.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:34 AM EST
The Cuban outfielder is letting his market develop, it seems.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
For now at least there doesn’t seem to be a clear front-runner.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:23 AM EST
What’s not to like?
Nov 20, 2014, 9:24 AM EST
The new commish takes over on January 25.
Nov 20, 2014, 8:54 AM EST
He was a nice pickup for the O’s last season. But do you give Delmon Young a multi-year deal?
Nov 20, 2014, 8:30 AM EST
A crappy K/BB ratio is the least of Cody Kukuk’s problems now.
Nov 20, 2014, 7:44 AM EST
No one ever asks the billionaire owners of baseball teams questions like that.
Nov 19, 2014, 10:37 PM EST
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Marlins have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with infielder Reid Brignac. The deal presumably comes with an invitation to major league spring training.
Nov 19, 2014, 9:22 PM EST
The Marlins have some money to spend, and free agent first baseman Adam LaRoche appears to be among their targets.
Nov 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
Sergio Santos had a dreadful 2014 season, posting an 8.57 ERA, 2.19 WHIP, and 29/18 K/BB ratio in 21 innings for the Blue Jays while battling a lingering right forearm issue. He’s a free agent now and will be looking to revitalize his career with any team that will have him.
Nov 19, 2014, 7:08 PM EST
From agent Marc Klingman comes word that Pat Venditte, a switch-pitcher who can throw both left-handed and right-handed, has signed a minor league contract with the Oakland A’s. The deal also carries an invitation to major league spring training.
Nov 19, 2014, 6:14 PM EST
Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reported Wednesday morning that the Red Sox had made an offer to free agent starter Jon Lester. And now Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has been clued in on the terms that were presented …
Nov 19, 2014, 5:26 PM EST
He is, however, wrong.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 62
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)