Jun 10, 2012, 6:35 PM EST
Philip Humber‘s rotation spot will likely be up for grabs with one more bad outing.
After the right-hander gave up six runs — five earned — and three homers in 5 1/3 innings in a loss to the Astros on Sunday, manager Robin Ventura said that Humber would make one more start, but declined to promise him anything after that.
It’s the fifth time in nine starts since his perfect game against the Mariners on April 21 that Humber has allowed at least five runs. He’s now 2-4 with a 5.93 ERA in 11 starts for the season.
It’s the home run ball that has served as Humber’s doom. He’s allowed 12 of them in 48 innings since the no-no. During his breakthrough 2011 season, he gave up a total of 14 homers in 163 innings. Humber fanned nine batters today, giving him 59 strikeouts in 62 1/3 innings on the season, a nice step forward from 2011. So, if he can get the homers under control, his ERA could yet come down.
Still, the White Sox appear to be running out of patience. John Danks will make a rehab start Tuesday and could rejoin the rotation after that. Expectations were that Jose Quintana would be sent down to make room for Danks, but the team could keep him around and use Humber in middle relief instead.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)