Jun 10, 2012, 5:03 PM EST
Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune was informed by the agent for No. 2 pick Byron Buxton on Sunday that a contract agreement is drawing near between the Twins and the 18-year-old outfielder.
Buxton is scheduled to arrive in the Twins Cities on Monday morning and will likely take his customary pre-signing physical Tuesday. If all goes well, a deal should be formally announced by Wednesday night.
The recommended slot bonus for the second overall pick this year is $6.2 million, but Astros selection Carlos Correa — a high school shortstop and the top overall pick in last week’s amateur draft — signed for only $4.8 million. And that might have a small effect on the market for the players taken below him.
Buxton is a five-tool talent. He once hit a ball into the top row of the left field bleachers at Wrigley Field.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)