Jun 10, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune was informed by the agent for No. 2 pick Byron Buxton on Sunday that a contract agreement is drawing near between the Twins and the 18-year-old outfielder.
Buxton is scheduled to arrive in the Twins Cities on Monday morning and will likely take his customary pre-signing physical Tuesday. If all goes well, a deal should be formally announced by Wednesday night.
The recommended slot bonus for the second overall pick this year is $6.2 million, but Astros selection Carlos Correa — a high school shortstop and the top overall pick in last week’s amateur draft — signed for only $4.8 million. And that might have a small effect on the market for the players taken below him.
Buxton is a five-tool talent. He once hit a ball into the top row of the left field bleachers at Wrigley Field.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (148)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)