Albert Pujols is back to being ALBERT PUJOLS again

Jun 11, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT

Los Angeles Angels Photo Day Getty Images

His season totals are still way below his usual standards, but Albert Pujols is back to being one of the best hitters in baseball and has been for more than a month now.

Pujols had a .194 batting average and zero homers through 27 games. Then he homered against the Blue Jays on May 6 and since then he’s hit .308 with nine homers, eight doubles, 31 RBIs, nearly as many walks (14) as strikeouts (15), and a .942 OPS in 33 games.

Pujols hit .328 with a 1.037 OPS in 11 seasons for the Cardinals, so even his post-May 6 production hasn’t quite been at that level, but switching from the NL to the AL and offense being down across baseball makes the gap seem wider than it probably is.

Last year, for instance, Pujols hit .299 with a .906 OPS and those were both career-worst marks. Because of his terrible first six weeks he’ll have an extremely hard time reaching even those season totals, but with the Angels winning 14 of their last 18 games and Pujols being his usual self again we’ve probably seen the last of those “is Albert Pujols washed up?” stories.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM

This is still going to be a brutal 10-year contract, though.

• SmackSaw - Jun 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Are you Arte Moreno? Then why do you care about how much he costs? By the way, what’s gonna happen when Matt Stairs is king?

• djpostl - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Don’t have to be Moreno to regret the length of the deal, just have to be a fan you that isn’t as short-sighted as the dog from “Up” idiot.

Especially those years 6-10 when he’s very pedestrian and struggling to stay healthy.

2. fearlessleader - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Nah, he’s not back to being ALBERT PUJOLS. He started the season as albert pujols, and now he’s Albert Pujols. One suspects that the majority (though probably not all) of his caps-lock days are behind him.

• paperlions - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Agreed.

His hot streaks are now equivalent to his career average production and his average production will be far below what it used to be. If Pujols was back to PUJOLS, his hot streak would result in a 1.400+ OPS, not something below or in line with his career averages.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Albert seems like a likeable guy. I have always wished him well. I hope these Teixeira-esque slow starts are not his new normal.

4. thefalcon123 - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Since May 15(his last 25 games)
    .344/.407/.677 with 8 home runs and 24 RBIs.

The time span between May 6th and May 14th he hit just .206/.229/.294…basically as bad as he was before…just with a home finally.

So…Pujols was back May 15, not May 6.

5. cintiphil - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I think Albert is one of the best ever however, This is too soon to be writing an article such as this. Lets wait until he carries this team for about a couple of months, and hit his HR’s with multiple RBI games day after day. lets not jinx his come back with this kind of hope and dribble.

6. mybrunoblog - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I’m usually not a hater but I sort of enjoyed Pujols struggling. Don’t ask me to explain why because I can’t but I think I’d be happy if he finishes the season under .260 and less than 30 homers.

7. John Vincent - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Reblogged this on Johnny's Baseball Blog.

• kappy32 - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Johnny, I wrote blog entries on the NY Mets & the NY Football Giants for years, but never once did I “reblog” someone else’s entire work. What is the purpose of having a blog if you’re going to be so damn lazy? At least you could write your own piece & give credit & reference to this post. However, taking someone’s entire work & reblog going it on your own blog is nothing more than stealing someone’s work. I now know that I will NEVER visit your blog page because I can find all of your work on the numerous other baseball blogs before you steal their writing.

• John Vincent - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM

my apologies i thought i was honoring your work by reblogging it…i have removed it

• savocabol1 - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:23 PM

You are a HACK. Get your own material

• John Vincent - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM

my apologies…i have removed it..it ws not my intention to steal anyone’s work…i thought i was honoring it by reblogging it…

• cur68 - Jun 11, 2012 at 6:44 PM

This re-blogging business, I’m not sure why others get so worked up over it: seems pretty harmless to me. If someone was re-blogging my ramblings, I’d be kinda tickled about it. The interwebs has all kinds of content that people help themselves to and most don’t say a word about it, however you posting that you re-blogged it is rather honest of you. On the whole, Mr Vincent, you come off looking like a reasonable and decent person while your detractors do not, so no worries, eh?

8. badintent - Jun 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM

OK , you 2, do I have to call a Federal mediator or Tim Tebow to settle this ? Or is this what the Hatfield/McCoy feud on History Channel is based on ? With washed up Kevin Costener doing his latest “Waterworld/Postman ” acting. Albert is earning his $$ , A-rod is not. end of discussion.

• djpostl - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Lol, Albert isn’t coming close to earning his dollars, regardless of what Arod is (or isn’t doing). Both guys are being paid for twice their production.

In the real world, we actually look at Albert’s entire season…not just the last few weeks. It’s not like he didn’t draw a paycheck those weeks he was as effective as a drunk frat boy wielding a wiffle ball bat.

9. meyerwolf - Jun 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Kappy, savocabol, you’re both being dicks. Leave the guy alone – he credits Gleeman’s work and links to it, which isn’t all that different from what this site does on a regular basis. (Sure, they’ll write two paragraphs about it, but Craig et al are getting paid for it) Given that NBC apparently doesn’t mind, we sure as hell don’t need you two to be holier than the pope.

Johnny, I thought your blog contains an interesting collection of articles on a wide range of topics.

• John Vincent - Jun 11, 2012 at 5:51 PM

thank you…I didn’t write the “Reblogged This”..Wordpress automatically entered it …. I didn’t even know I was “commenting” on it in this forum…my intent was not to steal anybody’s stuff but to comment on it on my blog…I am new to HBT and I just got schooled on their protocol…I will post differently in the future…

• djpostl - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Exactly. The entire reason why a major platform like WordPress has a “reblog” button on it.

As long as the person who writes it is cited, linked to the original etc.. there should be no issue & you guys are just being assclowns.

10. rooney24 - Jun 11, 2012 at 5:38 PM

While I understand that changing leagues likely hurt Pujols a little at the start of this season, this is now two straight seasons with very poor starts. I think he needs to rethink his offseason regimen, so he can come into the season better. Maybe talk to Big Papi, as he had similar struggles for a couple of seasons.

11. miserynmossouri - Jun 11, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Alberta best days will be remembered during the time he spent in STL. I think he will go down as one of the best, however, there is far greater pressure on him now. Add to that his contract and age, history tells us he is setup to fail.

12. gorilladik81 - Jun 11, 2012 at 6:51 PM

It’s because he’s back on the juice

13. ddmcd1974 - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Johnny tell that dude to fuck off. So what you copy and pasted. As long as on your site you don’t say you wrote it then it’s a non issue. The other dbag just hasn’t gotten laid recently or as he stated his blog was closed because nobody read it so now he hates on everyone else. Like I said just don’t say you wrote it an 99% of people won’t give a fuck. Later.

14. bmorethansteel - Jun 12, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Oh yay

15. bestcoastinfluence - Jun 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM

The guy is too good of a hitter to be so terrible for a whole season. I am happy to see him doing well and the Angels playing much better. I hope he continues this type of play throughout his 10 year contract.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3565)