Bill Murray: rain delay entertainment

Jun 11, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT

For relaxing times, make it Bill Murray time:

That’s Murray at the single-A Charleston River Dogs game yesterday. He’s part owner of the team so he can do whatever he wants. Though he needs to be careful. He may lip that tarp. Lip it? Yes! Lip it, lip it!

And yes, I realize this is the second Bill Murray-related post in a couple of hours. I watched “Lost in Translation” for the millionth time on Friday, so I got him on the brain.

1. humanexcrement - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Fuck it–if we’re going to go off topic, let’s do it: favorite Bill Murray roles: off-hand, I have to go with:

–Groundhog Day
    –Ghostbusters
    –The Life Aquatic
    –What About Bob

BTW, Craig, what’s your take on Bill’s unintelligible words to Scarlett Johannson at the end of Lost in Translation–I realize you’re not supposed to understand it, but I keep trying anyway.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I think it came out a couple years ago that he says something like “I’m not saying it’ll be easy…but go to that man and tell him the truth” re: Charlotte’s husband.

• humanexcrement - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM

The crazy thing is–I went and watched that scene again right now, and it just made me view the whole movie differently. It looks now like the smile on Bill Murray’s face and the look they exchange means that they’re really going to be together at some point in the future. I really have to watch that movie from start to finish again, knowing that. AWESOME!

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:23 PM

-Caddyshack
      -Scrooged
      -GD
      -Ghostbusters
      -Meatballs

• jkcalhoun - Jun 11, 2012 at 7:09 PM

The Man Who Knew Too Little – underrated but worthy performance

• Utley's Hair - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM

How can anybody in his right mind not include Stripes on there? He was pretty good in the Razor’s Edge, too.

• pharmerbrown - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Caddyshack?

• Cris E - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Stripes yes, but Razor’s Edge was just a little too self indulgent for me.

• humanexcrement - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Stripes is a notable omission. “Where the Buffalo Roam” is an obscure good performance. As for Caddyshack–I realize I’m going to get a lot of flack for this, but I’m not a big fan. Watch the DVD documentary on it. Ye, it has its moments, but it was basically a respectable failure. It was supposed to be, more or less, Animal House II, in which the characters had grown up. originally, Animal House was supposed to star Murray (bluto) harold ramis (Boon) Chevy Chase (otter) and Dan Aykroyd (D-Day). The problem was that they were all too old to play college students. So Caddyshack was basically an unofficial sequel about what happened to the characters after they left college. But the Kenny Loggins soundtrack, the Rodney Dangerfield standup jokes wedged into the script, the girl who’s only in the story to be a whore to everyone, and it just always seemed to me that there were two or three too many characters in that story. I realize it’s an unpopular opinion, but I’ve never been a big fan of that movie. Harold Ramis’ other efforts were much better.

• number42is1 - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Operation Dumbodrop?

• Utley's Hair - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Chris, I saw the Razor’s Edge as part of a high school course, so self-indulgent was pretty much my state of being at the time, so I guess it matched up with me more than it did with you.

• pharmerbrown - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Don’t forget about his cameo in Zombieland; while dying, Bill was asked if he has any regrets, to which he mumbled “Garfield?”. Anyone who can go self-deprecating in a dying scene gets my appreciation. He might have 6 lines in that movie, but they are all gems.

• napoleonblownapart6887 - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Caddyshack – beginning and end of list.

Gunga Galunga.

• seanthegreatest - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Big hitter the Lama

• wendell7 - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Cannonball ! Cannanball comin’

• kopy - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Space Jam, duh.

2. nategearhart - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:17 PM

You want more mysterious? I’ll just try and think, “Where the hell’s the whiskey?”

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Apparently Bill is playing FDR in an upcoming movie. Hat tip to imdb.

4. girouxsmonsterrod - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Bill F***ing Murray!

• westcoastfan - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Chive on!

5. jwbiii - Jun 11, 2012 at 5:10 PM

When Harry Caray had his stroke in 1987, he missed about six weeks. During that time WGN used guest color men. Bill Murray was the best of them; he was both knowledgeable and hilarious. I’ll bet you can look at this list and pick out the worst in about two seconds:

6. raysfan1 - Jun 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Alice Cooper was also at that game.

7. stercuilus65 - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Love Bill Murray but I thought “Lost in Translation” was one of the most overrated movies ever. I could barely sit through it.

8. hushbrother - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:29 AM

You’re right, no HUMAN BEING could have slid on that tarp.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2983)