Jun 11, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock…
The countdown for Chase Utley‘s return to the Phillies’ lineup is finally upon us.
According to CSNPhilly.com, Utley will begin an official minor league rehab assignment tomorrow with High-A Clearwater. The 33-year-old second baseman began playing in extended spring training games last week, but this will be his first real game action since the Phillies lost to the Cardinals in the NLDS last October.
Utley will be eased into action as the designated hitter before testing his knee by playing the field. Position players are given a 20-day rehab window, so assuming he doesn’t have any setbacks physically, the latest he’ll return to the Phillies is July 2. This sets him up for a potential season debut on July 3 against the Mets. Look for the Phillies to give him as much rehab time as possible.
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 2
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (92)