Jun 11, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
David Robertson has been sidelined for nearly a month with a left oblique strain, but the Yankees could finally have him back in their bullpen for Friday’s series opener against the Nationals.
According to Barry M. Bloom of MLB.com, Robertson tossed a scoreless inning in his first rehab appearance yesterday with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Yankees manager Joe Girardi is optimistic that he’ll be ready to go after just one more appearance tomorrow.
“We’re just looking for him to have his arm back in shape,” Girardi told Bloom. “Just making sure he can bounce back if he throws a day. I heard no complaints today, so that’s a good thing.”
Robertson was given the first crack at the closer role in the aftermath of Mariano Rivera‘s torn right ACL, but he joined the all-time saves leader on the disabled list less than two weeks later. Of course, Rafael Soriano then took advantage by tossing eight shutout innings while going a perfect 8-for-8 in save opportunities. While his impressive streak finally came to an end yesterday against the Mets, he’s expected to keep the closer gig upon Robertson’s return.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 63
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)