Jun 11, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
If you were watching last night’s Tigers-Reds game on ESPN you saw Detroit starter Drew Smyly exit after three innings and then show off a huge blood blister on his left middle finger to everyone in the dugout.
It looked pretty gross and afterward manager Jim Leyland described it as “the worst one I’d ever seen in my life.”
Smyly told Jason Beck of MLB.com how the blister from hell came to be:
I had a mini-cut from my last start, but it wasn’t a blister or anything. So I had some type of stuff on it to keep it safe. It was holding all the blood in, so it was getting mushy. So every pitch, it was getting mushier and mushier, and it started going down my finger.
Smyly indicated that he expects to make his next start Saturday versus the Rockies, but obviously it wouldn’t be shocking if the 22-year-old rookie is not able to do so and maybe even needs a disabled list stint to let the blister heal.
Also, our word of the day is: Mushy.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (148)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)