Jun 11, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Geovany Soto is ready to start a minor-league rehab assignment three weeks after undergoing surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee.
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that Soto is scheduled to see his first game action today at Triple-A and will likely play 3-5 games there, at which point he could be cleared to rejoin the Cubs.
For his part Soto is optimistic about coming off the DL as soon as this weekend, which could push fill-in starter Steve Clevenger back to Triple-A if the Cubs prefer veteran journeyman Koyie Hill in the little-used understudy role.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)