Jun 11, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Geovany Soto is ready to start a minor-league rehab assignment three weeks after undergoing surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee.
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that Soto is scheduled to see his first game action today at Triple-A and will likely play 3-5 games there, at which point he could be cleared to rejoin the Cubs.
For his part Soto is optimistic about coming off the DL as soon as this weekend, which could push fill-in starter Steve Clevenger back to Triple-A if the Cubs prefer veteran journeyman Koyie Hill in the little-used understudy role.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 47
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 58
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)