Jun 11, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Geovany Soto is ready to start a minor-league rehab assignment three weeks after undergoing surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee.
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that Soto is scheduled to see his first game action today at Triple-A and will likely play 3-5 games there, at which point he could be cleared to rejoin the Cubs.
For his part Soto is optimistic about coming off the DL as soon as this weekend, which could push fill-in starter Steve Clevenger back to Triple-A if the Cubs prefer veteran journeyman Koyie Hill in the little-used understudy role.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)