Jon Lester is frustrated

Jun 11, 2012, 11:03 AM EDT

Groundhog Day

Jon Lester is not having a lot of fun this season. Here he is after yesterday’s game:

“It seems like its just ‘Groundhog Day,’ everyday,” said Lester. “In every start for me I just can’t seem to get a break. I can speak for myself that it aggravates the piss out of me. I hate going out there and losing regardless if I’m pitching or not. I know guys (in the clubhouse) are frustrated and rightly so.”

I get his frustration, but if it was really like “Groundhog Day,” by now Lester would have learned from what happens every day, memorized the patterns and would be on a string of throwing multiple consecutive perfect games.  At least after the suicide attempts all proved fruitless.

1. aceshigh11 - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM

DON’T PITCH ANGRY!

Maybe the Sox should change their song from “Sweet Caroline” to “I Got You Babe” to fit in more with the Groundhog’s Day theme.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Will Red Sox fans ever get tired of “Sweet Caroline”? As much as I liked Sonny and Cher, I doubt that a lot of Red Sox fans would go for a song that might remind them of Babe Ruth.

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Maybe he’s been too busy with the girl who makes chipmunk noises when she gets excited.

3. El Bravo - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM

The Red Sox and Phillies are performing below expectations. I don’t see how anyone can complain, this is how the universe should be when all is right with it.

• bigleagues - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Envy is a helluva drug!

• El Bravo - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I certainly commit at least 4 of the 7 deadly sins each day, but alas, envy is rarely one of them.

• pellypell - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:35 PM

4? Amatuer!

4. number42is1 - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Possibly my favorite line of the whole movie

Phil: What would you do if you were stuck in one place and every day was exactly the same, and nothing that you did mattered?
    Ralph: That about sums it up for me.

5. cur68 - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Groundhog Day?? WTF choo talkin’ ’bout, Lester? ‘Groundhog Day,’ was a good movie. I loved that movie. You wish you were in Groundhog Day. What you’re in is more like “Speed 2″. THAT’s the movie you’re in, Bubba. Now man up & throw strikes, Meat. And stop your whining. That last goes for you too, Bobby Valentine.

• stex52 - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:08 PM

You said it, Cur. Two stars.

• 24missed - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Respect the man, Cur, respect the man.

Lester must be a good egg if gives a nod to ‘Groundhog Day,’ that shows he
      has a little culture in him.

And he certainly doesn’t whine nearly as much as Valentine, Beckett, Buccholz, Bard, Ortiz, Gonzo and Middlebrooks. Don’t get me started on Melancon. Or the other 80 players that nobody knows are actually part of the team. Like Lackey.

No disrespecting Lester. We need one that can take accountability.

6. RedHeadedBastard - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Lester followed up by saying:

“I have been stabbed, shot, poisoned, frozen, hung, electrocuted, and burned…and every morning I wake up without a scratch on me, not a dent in the fender… I am an immortal. “

7. uyf1950 - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM

A famous person once said and I quote “you make your own luck”. Lester and the Red Sox should stop relying on luck and just start to play better. It’s that simple.

• jimbo1949 - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM

A famous person once said and I quote “luck is the residue of design”. Plan your work, work your plan and quit yer bitchin’.

• pellypell - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I love quotes. Here’s one of my favorites:

“The internet is full of experts” – Abe Lincoln

• drewzducks - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Our greatest president. Who knew he was also a vampire slayer ?

• Cris E - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I *knew* Al Gore didn’t invent the intertubes!

• natstowngreg - Jun 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Dang, thought Benjamin Franklin said that.

8. mybrunoblog - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Oh boy. Sometimes I yearn for the days of pre-2004 when Red Sox fans were seen and not heard.

9. shanabartels - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM

If he’s kvetching about not getting sufficient run support, isn’t that considered bad form? Matt Cain would never call out his teammates like that, no matter how many years he’s been getting Cain’d. King Felix doesn’t do it either. Shut up, Lester.

10. Old Gator - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM

The groundhog looks like it’s enjoying itself, but Bill Murray looks like he’s working much too hard.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I’d imagine the same type of expression from anyone with a groundhog on their lap behind the wheel.

11. Kevin Gillman - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Just tell Jon to eat some chicken and beer and everything will be okay.

12. deathmonkey41 - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM

How dare he foul something are pure and wholesome as a Bill Murray movie by associating it with something as insipidly vile as the Boston Red Sox.

13. rico7207 - Jun 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Only so many innings in an arm for a pitcher in a career. His best days are gone so no it is up to him to retire or keep stealing a pay check and lose most games. Surely he will pick the latter. Most do!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3159)