Mets “fans” really hate Jon Rauch right now

Jun 11, 2012, 3:36 PM EDT

Jon Rauch didn’t have the best game ever yesterday. Indeed, he gave up a walkoff homer to Russell Martin and lost the game.  It happens. It’s rough being a relief pitcher. You win some, you lose some, you save some.

But some alleged Mets fans don’t seem to allow for that, and they are filling up Rauch’s Twitter feed with heinous hate and all manner of obscenity. A few that Rauch himself chose to retweet, which I have edited somewhat for cleaner consumption:

@jrauch60 you f****n suck.Leave the mets and give back the money they’re paying you.You’re pathetic and a poor excuse for a human being

@jrauch60 not to be a dick, but please mysteriously claim to need elbow surgery and give the money we blew on u back and retire. Thanks.

@jrauch60 so sick of your a** b***h you f*****g queer you throw like a fag another blown game by #mets #bullsh**pen

@jrauch60is a six-foot-eleven inch piece of s***. How can you be that big and be 100% p***y? YOU F*****G SUCK YOU F*****G LOSER! RETIRE

@jrauch60 you are the biggest garbage player in the MLB GTFO the bullpen and learn to pitch smh #yousuck #killyourself

@jrauch60 I hope u have suicidal thoughts Dont act on them though. You’re a terrible reliever.ushould hang em up. Choke on food not in games

Twitter holds the promise of being able to interact with people with whom you’d never get to interact. Like athletes, politicians and celebrities.  But because some people are awful, twisted and sick, don’t be surprised to see fewer athletes, politicians and celebrities willing to subject themselves to this crap.

1. bsbiz - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I’m glad the Mets found a new batch of guys perfectly willing to step in and do a better job. Put your money where your mouth is…

Or your Twitter venom.

2. El Bravo - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I assume this happens to all relievers that blow games. Is this worse than usual? I doubt it. Perhaps he should stay off Twitter or just not pay attention. Imagine if Marmol paid attention to that stuff? He’d be in an asylum right now.

It’s seems dumb to re-tweet this stuff too. Why give them a greater audience for their pathetic comments? Same goes for this post, which also expands their audience. Not hating, just saying.

• nixonotis - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I don’t know, if I were to say something heinous in the heat of the moment, I’d be sufficiently embarrassed by both the retweet and subsequent blog post. I mean we’ve all reacted to losing a baseball game irrationally at one time or another, I’d bet this is Rauch’s attempt to respond to these lunatics in the most reasonable way possible. Although, to be fair, these tweets above seem a result of mental deficiency rather than passionate fandom.

• sabatimus - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I doubt it’s mental deficiency, unfortunately. I think people just love being pissed off at something or anything.

• nategearhart - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM

As part of the account creation process, Twitter should require users to provide contact info (twitter handle or otherwise) for their mothers. Then on everybody’s tweets there would be a “Send To His/Her Mother” option next to “Reply” and “Retweet”.
        Maybe with most people it wouldn’t make a difference, but I know I already try to consider what my mom would think if she saw my tweets before I post them.

• nixonotis - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM

@jrauch60 so sick of your a** b***h you f*****g queer you throw like a fag another blown game by #mets #bullsh**pen

….If that’s not a sign of mental deficiency, what is? This person is not operating on the same plane as most of us.

• js20011041 - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I agree. Everyone says stuff during a game that they wouldn’t be proud of. But once you actually seek out the player or person of your frustration and express those feelings, you have officially crossed the line from irrational fan to asshole.

3. Phillies Homer - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:48 PM

It’s funny the courage some people have when they are sitting behind a computer. When in reality if they were to see Jon Rauch in the streets they’d be running up to him, giddy as a little school child, asking for his autograph… and then run back home faster than Charlie did when he got the golden ticket, to post the pic of it on Facebook.

• natstowngreg - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Or, if any intended to yell obcenities in Jonathan Rauch’s face, they would learn up-close and personal that Jonathan Rauch is an extremely large human being.

• Bryz - Jun 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Actually, if you saw Jon Rauch in person, you’d do best to avoid eye contact. Even when he’s sitting down, he looks like he’s ready to punch your face in.

4. flyinhighwithvick - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Oh those New York fans. But hey, at least they didn’t boo Santa, right?

• snowbirdgothic - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM

For God’s sake, let the Santa thing go. It was 1968; that’s so long ago that Jamie Moyer was only in his third season.

• jimbo1949 - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM

*chuckling*

5. Tim OShenko - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM

So that one guy is sick of Rauch’s air brush? I fail to see how that’s relevant to his pitching performance.

Oh well. Some people just aren’t happy unless they’re pissed off at everything.

6. barrywhererufrom - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM

The New York Madoff fan’s are a little uptight..I know you were going to punch big brother in the face this weekend, and you ended up looking like the losers that you are after getting swept..and of course you decide to attack your own. and.that’s what losers do..

7. nategearhart - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:31 PM

You know how we’ve been wondering for a little while just WHERE these Mets fans that supposedly still hate Beltran for the ’06 NLCS are? That’s them.

8. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Forget the unnecessary personal attacks … I just can’t respect a person who uses “smh” as a means for expressing himself/herself in writing.

9. sdelmonte - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM

As always, I want nothing to do with Mets “fans” who act this way. But there is a reason I never visit any fansite these days.

10. sabatimus - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Best part is the guy who said “not to be a dick”….because then he went on to be precisely that. Love it when people say they’re not going to do something and then do it exactly.

11. 1337ryan - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Oh, just imagine if twitter was around for Bill Buckner!!! Haha, the thought is so entertaining.

12. badintent - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM

These are not new fans, just Old LBJ haters.Or every day Philly fans OR Bill Buckner haters that have finally moved on …… to Jon. Hope he meets one or 2 in a dark ally and does the old Joe Pesci “Casino flix” stomp on them. We’re all good with that.

13. theawesomersfranchise - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM

These guys have nothing on Bruin fans when Joel Ward sends the B’s to the golf course

14. randygnyc - Jun 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM

This is pathetic. I’ve told some pretty “important” people I think they stink. Without profanity. To their face. (Bud Selig being one of them. Delmon Young is on my to do list). That’s how civilized people do it.

15. chill1184 - Jun 11, 2012 at 5:57 PM

This is different from what people say on ESPN forms and Yahoo articles how?

16. ndnut - Jun 11, 2012 at 6:39 PM

We would welcome you back in Minnesota Jon!

17. hushbrother - Jun 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM

No athlete deserves this stuff for their on field performance. But Jeff Reardon circa 1990-92 comes the closest.

18. jwbiii - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Stay classy, New York.

• jimbo1949 - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:48 PM

That’d be Lawn Guy-Land.

19. jonirocit - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Why r we not showing the people who tweeted this garbage . Should be posting their names

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3488)