Red Sox set to sign Shaq Thompson

Jun 11, 2012, 6:21 PM EDT

Shaq Thompson

There are quite a few 18-year-old Shaqs running around these days, courtesy of O’Neal’s exploding popularity in the early-90s. The Red Sox are reportedly set to land one of the fastest,  18th-round pick Shaq Thompson.

Thompson was rated the state of California’s top football recruit and the nation’s No. 1 safety by Rivals.com. He initially committed to Cal, but the Bears frowned on his desire to play baseball and he ended up picking the University of Washington instead. That’s still the plan; he’ll play baseball in the summer and go to school the rest of the year.

In the end, Thompson will probably end up a football player. He’s a very raw baseball talent, and he has all of the tools to become a first-round pick in the NFL three years down the line. The Red Sox, though, probably aren’t gambling more than $100,000 on him here, and since he does have a legitimate desire to play baseball, that seems like a bargain, given his raw strength and his ability to fly in center field.

1. proudlycanadian - Jun 11, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Given the draft rules, the bonus is very unlikely to exceed $100,000; however, for a college football player the cash would come in handy. It sure beats under the counter payments from boosters.

2. cur68 - Jun 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Great hair on the kid. Hope no one makes him cut it off.

• nixonotis - Jun 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM

If long hair isn’t the Yankee way, it must be the wrong way. Right?

• 24missed - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Cur,

If he plays for the Sox, he can keep his moss however he likes it. I love it, too.

I’m looking for a ray of light for the future. Certainly sounds like he has a stronger arm
      than our current center fielder.

Any words of hope for this cellah-dwellah?

Missed-ya

• cur68 - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Hang in there, kid. Better days are ahead. Crawford is due back, Bard will likely recover his form (needs to have his head shrunk a bit: thinking about his pitching WAY too much), Elsbury is just some extended ST away & that Evil Dwarf Pedrioa isn’t far off. Its still close in the AL Beast, so there’s hope.

• 24missed - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Wow. I was hoping to catch you on the comments. Thanks for the hope to cling to. I’m hanging on for Carl Crawford ~ not so much Bard ~ and hoping Laser Show isn’t seriously injured. Boras was in the house last night, interestingly enough.
        We are one game on you, but I’m still rooting for the Jays if the Sox don’t make it.
        Is the heat of the season that busy and going to games keeping you away? Maybe, I’m just oblivious.
        90-somethingish today, but I want to garden. Might sound bland, but hey, I use my power tools and go to True Value and stuff. Or I’ll hit the beach for the swim. Farmer’s tan/burn or beach tan/burn.
        Catch you soon and thanks for the wisdom ~ hope you are peaceful, my dear Cur.

3. dawgpoundmember - Jun 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I have been wondering forever if someone could play minor league ball while going to college for football, thanks for the answer.

• jimbo1949 - Jun 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Off the top of my head, John Elway, among many others. List?

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Danny Ainge? With Basketball instead of football.
        I don’t know…Bo Jackson, Dion Sanders, ???
        I have no idea if they playe minor league ball. But I would venture to guess they did.

4. sknut - Jun 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

If he turns out to be a poor fielder, he would give new meaning to hack a shaq

5. 11jlacy - Jun 12, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Good luck in what ever u do,lil brother

6. 49ersgiants4life - Jun 12, 2012 at 4:47 AM

One of the nicest guys I ever played football against his bro plays for the broncos totally down to earth and his mom couldn’t be nicer also just a great family

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5116)