Jun 11, 2012, 6:21 PM EDT
There are quite a few 18-year-old Shaqs running around these days, courtesy of O’Neal’s exploding popularity in the early-90s. The Red Sox are reportedly set to land one of the fastest, 18th-round pick Shaq Thompson.
Thompson was rated the state of California’s top football recruit and the nation’s No. 1 safety by Rivals.com. He initially committed to Cal, but the Bears frowned on his desire to play baseball and he ended up picking the University of Washington instead. That’s still the plan; he’ll play baseball in the summer and go to school the rest of the year.
In the end, Thompson will probably end up a football player. He’s a very raw baseball talent, and he has all of the tools to become a first-round pick in the NFL three years down the line. The Red Sox, though, probably aren’t gambling more than $100,000 on him here, and since he does have a legitimate desire to play baseball, that seems like a bargain, given his raw strength and his ability to fly in center field.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)