The defense rests in the Roger Clemens trial

Jun 11, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Roger Clemens

It’s been nine weeks, but the cases-in-chief of both the prosecution and the defense are over, with the defense resting its case about ten minutes ago.

Still not completely over: the prosecution will have a rebuttal case which is expected to take a half day — hopefully this afternoon will be it — and the judge has told each side that he wants closing arguments tomorrow.  Then the case goes to the jury which, hopefully, will be able to reach a verdict this week. I say hopefully because I’m going on vacation next week and I doubt Aaron wants to deal with boring legal crap.

Anyway, the upshot is that this thing is almost over.

1. tuftsb - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM

“What? Over? Did you say “over”? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?”

• jimbo1949 - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Man, I never get tired of this.
      Aren’t you gonna stop him? Nah, he’s on a roll.

• dexterismyhero - Jun 11, 2012 at 1:19 PM

7 years of college down the drain…………..

2. sdelmonte - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Let’s all hope there is not a hung jury. Because going through this a third time would be just cruel.

3. deathmonkey41 - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM

This should have been the defense’s only closing statement.

“Wow, what a tremendous waste of f#cking money. Thank you for your time ladies and gentlemen.”

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Zzzz…..

5. Old Gator - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Did you have to wake me up just to tell me that? Okay, I’m going to sleep again, realizing that my chances of recovering that dream of being at a wild party in the Vivid Video headquarters are probably slim and none.

• vivabear - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Maybe a party in the Vivid Video headquarters would be fun…but, for my money, I’d rather be at the wrap party following the conclusion of filming an all girl feature. But hey sometimes you can’t control what you dream. Plus no one’s ever accused you of having a good idea.

• Old Gator - Jun 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM

You might have heard them if you weren’t deaf as well as stupid.

• vivabear - Jun 11, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Right b/c deaf people are incapable of comprehending the comments sections on this blog? Nice work Gator.

• Old Gator - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Add the inability to comprehend irony and metaphor to your long list of intellectual deficits, why don’t you?

• vivabear - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:15 PM

“Add the inability to comprehend irony and metaphor” This coming from a guy who takes things at their literal meaning when it best suits him.

My intellectual deficits are based on your opinion – which you have no evidence to back up. Your physical deficits are real, and the cause your negativity towards so many things. I.E. ozzie guillen, philadelphia, jeffery loria etc. I guess Gator’s gotta try to compensate somehow.

• Old Gator - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM

The most hilarious aspect of your adolescent japing and wheezing is the distance from comprehension of your own pronouncements at which you operate. “My intellectual deficits are based on your opinion” has got to be one of the most bumptious mispronouncements you’ve uttered here yet. Nurture versus nature, eh? Yes, it is true – I have raised you up in the ways of spite, envy and stupidity, my child. But it is time that you learned the truth. Although the FDA has long since withdrawn funding for comparable experiments with dogs, rabbits and planaria, which all showed some capacity to realize that they were making fools of themselves, they did permit some of us to see through to their conclusions our little experiments with cases of puerile arrested development. Unfortunately, they’ve now cut funding for those too, and they’re no longer paying me to encourage you to come on here day after day to make such an obvious, limping fool of yourself.

Sorry, little one. You’re on your own now.

6. tuftsb - Jun 11, 2012 at 5:39 PM

And as for the jury which needed extensive lessons in baseball nomenclature while trying to reamin awake:

“You’ve got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know… morons.”

• The Rabbit - Jun 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM

+1 One of my favorite lines.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win