The Rays to wear 1979 throwback uniforms. Wait, what?

Jun 11, 2012, 10:30 AM EST

Rays logo

The Tampa Bay Rays began play in 1998. But that’s not stopping them from going with 1979 throwbacks later this season.

According to Sportslogos.net, they will wear “faux-back” uniforms with 1970s-style design elements, including pullover jerseys, thick stripes on the sleeves, a 70s-style script for the team name and a cap with an alternate colored front-panel.  No word on whether they are 1970s-tight, but we can only hope.

There are no pics yet, but I’m sure the look will be good/bad in the way that only 1970s double knits can be.

1. Jeremiah Graves - Jun 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Go ahead and put me down for a jersey and hat now. I don’t even car what they look like, they’ve already won me over.

I assume Maddon was behind this!

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Maddon had great focus on this uniform decision, thanks to his Men’s One-a-Day 50+.

2. Innocent Bystander - Jun 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I wonder if they were the “Rays” or “Devil Rays” back then.

• 18thstreet - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM

They were called the St. Petersburg Devil Rays back then. The PA guy played a lot of Jimmy Buffett.

• runyetirun - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I mean, as long as they’re making stuff up why not really go for it? Pretend they were called the Manta Rays and their colors were magenta and orange. Or perhaps they were the St. Petersburg Sunshine, sporting a powder blue and yellow scheme.

_The sky’s the limit_

• Jeremy Fox - Jun 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Heck, why not pretend they were called “New York Yankees”?

3. shaggylocks - Jun 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM

The jerseys better say Devil Rays, or I’m calling foul.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Maddon is the only guy near that club alive in the 70s. He must be behind it.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Let’s not forget Don Zimmer, who still works for the team and fought in the Crimean War.

5. targhee159 - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Given that only a few dozen people show up for Rays games, will anyone notice if it’s not on TV?

• CJ - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM

will anyone even notice if it IS on TV?

6. southpaw2k - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM

It’s too bad they won’t be wearing them in interleague play against the Diamondbacks this year, otherwise the D-backs could wear 1970s-style uniforms as well in an equally nonsensical idea.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Oh man, I remember the great faux-dynasty of the D’Backs in the early 1970’s. Specifically, that 1972 team. Don Morris, Kevin Barken, Sal “Thorn” Thompson and my favorite base-stealer, Andy Jarvis.

7. addictedzone - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM

There is little doubt that these were concocted with the help of Dr. Emmett Brown and his DeLorean time machine.

8. deathmonkey41 - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I think I know who might be behind it- the almighty dollar.

• CJ - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM

yeah. what better way to make money to sell throwback jerseys that never existed to unsuspecting fans.

Frankly, I’m not sure what’s worse: that they’re doing it, or that it’ll actually work.

9. mybrunoblog - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:15 PM

If the players don’t wear stirrups and go pajama pants then it will be an exercise in baseball uniform futility.
    I need two thing in life.
    1. More cowbell
    2. More players wearing stirrups

• Jason @ IIATMS - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I have been trying for ages to find (AND WILLINGLY BUY, hear me, MLB?) the Rays striped stirrups. Except I can’t. Because they are not for sale.

10. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 11, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Are they any better than the Rockies’ original uniforms of 1944?

• addictedzone - Jun 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I preferred the Colorado unis in the 60’s when they were known as the Colorado Rocky Mountain Highs with the
      perfect cap logo

11. seahawksbmx - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:50 AM

I find it very easy to like that team.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester