Jun 12, 2012, 5:55 AM EDT
Yankees 3, Braves 0: Ivan Nova shut out Atlanta for seven innings and four relievers handled the last two. Atlanta didn’t even get a runner to third base all night. The Yankees have won four in a row, nine of 11 and are now tied for first place in the AL East.
Nationals 6, Blue Jays 3: And the Nats take advantage of the Braves loss to extend their lead in the NL East. Bryce Harper had three hits and drove in a run. Adam LaRoche hit a two-run homer. The big news here, though, was Brandon Morrow leaving after just nine pitches with an oblique injury.
Marlins 4, Red Sox 1: Miami finally wins one after a six-game losing streak. Meanwhile, Boston loses another. Seventh time in eight games, actually.
Angels 3, Dodgers 2: The Dodgers jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first with help from a bad pickoff throw at the second that Mike Trout made worse when trying to field it in center. But Trout homered in the fourth, singled in a run in the sixth and Pujols won the sucker with an RBI single — scoring Trout — in the ninth. Trout is on pace to score approximately 1,349,593 runs this season. Approximately.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 37
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 120
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (120)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)