Jun 12, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
Bad news here for the A’s and Brandon McCarthy.
According to MLB.com’s Jane Lee, the 28-year-old right-hander has been scratched from his scheduled Wednesday start against the Rockies due to lingering soreness in his throwing shoulder.
McCarthy is headed back to the Bay Area for an MRI and seems likely to be placed on the disabled list no matter what the exam shows. He’s already missed three starts this season with similar shoulder issues, so it’s obviously more severe than routine discomfort.
McCarthy, 28, has registered a 2.79 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 47/18 K/BB ratio through 71 innings this season. He is currently scheduled to become a free agent five days after the conclusion of the 2012 World Series.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris