Jun 12, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
Bad news here for the A’s and Brandon McCarthy.
According to MLB.com’s Jane Lee, the 28-year-old right-hander has been scratched from his scheduled Wednesday start against the Rockies due to lingering soreness in his throwing shoulder.
McCarthy is headed back to the Bay Area for an MRI and seems likely to be placed on the disabled list no matter what the exam shows. He’s already missed three starts this season with similar shoulder issues, so it’s obviously more severe than routine discomfort.
McCarthy, 28, has registered a 2.79 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 47/18 K/BB ratio through 71 innings this season. He is currently scheduled to become a free agent five days after the conclusion of the 2012 World Series.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 59
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)