Jun 12, 2012, 7:20 PM EST
Bad news here for the A’s and Brandon McCarthy.
According to MLB.com’s Jane Lee, the 28-year-old right-hander has been scratched from his scheduled Wednesday start against the Rockies due to lingering soreness in his throwing shoulder.
McCarthy is headed back to the Bay Area for an MRI and seems likely to be placed on the disabled list no matter what the exam shows. He’s already missed three starts this season with similar shoulder issues, so it’s obviously more severe than routine discomfort.
McCarthy, 28, has registered a 2.79 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 47/18 K/BB ratio through 71 innings this season. He is currently scheduled to become a free agent five days after the conclusion of the 2012 World Series.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 14
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 28
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)