Jun 12, 2012, 7:20 PM EST
Bad news here for the A’s and Brandon McCarthy.
According to MLB.com’s Jane Lee, the 28-year-old right-hander has been scratched from his scheduled Wednesday start against the Rockies due to lingering soreness in his throwing shoulder.
McCarthy is headed back to the Bay Area for an MRI and seems likely to be placed on the disabled list no matter what the exam shows. He’s already missed three starts this season with similar shoulder issues, so it’s obviously more severe than routine discomfort.
McCarthy, 28, has registered a 2.79 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 47/18 K/BB ratio through 71 innings this season. He is currently scheduled to become a free agent five days after the conclusion of the 2012 World Series.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)