Jun 12, 2012, 7:20 PM EST
Bad news here for the A’s and Brandon McCarthy.
According to MLB.com’s Jane Lee, the 28-year-old right-hander has been scratched from his scheduled Wednesday start against the Rockies due to lingering soreness in his throwing shoulder.
McCarthy is headed back to the Bay Area for an MRI and seems likely to be placed on the disabled list no matter what the exam shows. He’s already missed three starts this season with similar shoulder issues, so it’s obviously more severe than routine discomfort.
McCarthy, 28, has registered a 2.79 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 47/18 K/BB ratio through 71 innings this season. He is currently scheduled to become a free agent five days after the conclusion of the 2012 World Series.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 31
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)