Jun 12, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
File under “freak injuries to pitchers who are either batting or preparing to do so”:
Matusz hit in nose during bunting drill. Start tomorrow in question
— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) June 12, 2012
He was in the indoor batting cages and fouled one back into his face.
There is apparently a lot of swelling at the moment. The O’s are waiting to see if it subsides or of it increases or moves up towards his eyes, thus impairing his sight. The team doesn’t yet know if anything is broken.
UPDATE, 7:42 PM: X-rays have ruled out a broken nose, according to MASN’s Roch Kubatko. Matusz has been diagnosed with a nose contusion and should be fine to take the mound for his Wednesday start.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)