Jun 12, 2012, 4:30 PM EST
File under “freak injuries to pitchers who are either batting or preparing to do so”:
Matusz hit in nose during bunting drill. Start tomorrow in question
— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) June 12, 2012
He was in the indoor batting cages and fouled one back into his face.
There is apparently a lot of swelling at the moment. The O’s are waiting to see if it subsides or of it increases or moves up towards his eyes, thus impairing his sight. The team doesn’t yet know if anything is broken.
UPDATE, 7:42 PM: X-rays have ruled out a broken nose, according to MASN’s Roch Kubatko. Matusz has been diagnosed with a nose contusion and should be fine to take the mound for his Wednesday start.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 377
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)