Jun 12, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
File under “freak injuries to pitchers who are either batting or preparing to do so”:
Matusz hit in nose during bunting drill. Start tomorrow in question
— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) June 12, 2012
He was in the indoor batting cages and fouled one back into his face.
There is apparently a lot of swelling at the moment. The O’s are waiting to see if it subsides or of it increases or moves up towards his eyes, thus impairing his sight. The team doesn’t yet know if anything is broken.
UPDATE, 7:42 PM: X-rays have ruled out a broken nose, according to MASN’s Roch Kubatko. Matusz has been diagnosed with a nose contusion and should be fine to take the mound for his Wednesday start.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)