Jun 12, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
File under “freak injuries to pitchers who are either batting or preparing to do so”:
Matusz hit in nose during bunting drill. Start tomorrow in question
— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) June 12, 2012
He was in the indoor batting cages and fouled one back into his face.
There is apparently a lot of swelling at the moment. The O’s are waiting to see if it subsides or of it increases or moves up towards his eyes, thus impairing his sight. The team doesn’t yet know if anything is broken.
UPDATE, 7:42 PM: X-rays have ruled out a broken nose, according to MASN’s Roch Kubatko. Matusz has been diagnosed with a nose contusion and should be fine to take the mound for his Wednesday start.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 5
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 35
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 89
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)