Jun 12, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Dave Boswell, who won 20 games as a 24-year-old in 1969 and pitched eight seasons in the majors for the Twins, Tigers, and Orioles, has passed away at age 67.
Boswell’s former teammate, Hall of Famer Bert Blyleven, tweeted the sad news last night.
Boswell debuted with the Twins as a 19-year-old in 1964 and posted a sub-3.50 ERA in each of his first five full seasons. That run culminated in 20 wins and a 3.23 ERA in 256 innings in 1969 as the Twins won the division title, but Boswell was never the same after throwing 10.2 innings in a postseason start versus the Orioles.
He’d gone 64-47 with a 3.28 ERA in 968 innings through age 24, but logged a total of 98 innings with a 5.90 ERA from age 25 on and threw his last big-league pitch as a 26-year-old in 1971.
Blyleven is the only player in Twins history to start more games, log more innings, strike out more batters, or record more wins than Boswell through age 24. And despite the premature end to Boswell’s very promising career I ranked him as the 36th-best player in Minnesota Twins history.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 76
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (189)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)