Jun 12, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
There are lots of big-name starters pitching tonight–Felix Hernandez, Adam Wainwright, Zack Greinke, Johnny Cueto, Madison Bumgarner, CC Sabathia–but to me the most interesting matchup of the day involves a pair of back-of-the-rotation starters in the Minnesota-Philadelphia game.
SO/9 Aaron Cook 3.82 Chien-Ming Wang 4.11 KYLE KENDRICK 4.27 NICK BLACKBURN 4.34 John Lannan 4.71
Aaron Cook and John Lannan are currently both in the minors, so among active pitchers actually in the majors only Chien-Ming Wang has produced fewer strikeouts per nine innings than Kendrick and Blackburn. And coincidentally Wang also pitches tonight, against the Blue Jays.
For their careers Blackburn and Kendrick have averaged 4.27 and 4.34 strikeouts per nine innings. To put that in some context even if you add their strikeout rates together that’s 8.61 per nine innings, which is lower than the individual strikeout rates of 13 active pitchers with 100-plus starts, including one guy (Max Scherzer) also pitching tonight.
For anyone allergic to bat-missing Kendrick vs. Blackburn is must-see television, although having said all this I’m sure the Phillies and Twins will combine for like 50 strikeouts tonight.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 32
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 20
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)