Jun 12, 2012, 8:22 AM EST
John Sullivan was a Braves’ reliever in the late 70s and the Braves bullpen coach during Bobby Cox’s first stint as Braves manager. He left the team when Cox did in 1981.
John Sullivan was at the Braves alumni event/old timers softball game this past weekend. It was not, however, the correct John Sullivan. Indeed, it was an impostor. And not a very good one.
One who, when asked when he played for the Braves said, “1986 or 1987, I’m not sure.” And who was out of shape even for a guy in his 50s and couldn’t even really swing a softball bat. The guy attended John Smoltz‘s number retirement ceremony and a dinner and signed autographs for fans and everything before Bobby Cox, Andy Ashby, Jose Alvarez and others figured him out and confronted him.
“He got most of our cell phone numbers,” said Alvarez, who now resides in Greenville, S.C. “He invited me to appear in a golf tournament.”
So close. But if he thought more about his scam he could have pulled it off, actually. Indeed, all a guy with no apparent baseball ability whatsoever needs to do to make people think he played for the 1986-87 Braves would be to claim he was Andres Thomas.
(Thanks to Tim’s Neighbor for the heads up)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (308)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)