Jun 12, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
John Sullivan was a Braves’ reliever in the late 70s and the Braves bullpen coach during Bobby Cox’s first stint as Braves manager. He left the team when Cox did in 1981.
John Sullivan was at the Braves alumni event/old timers softball game this past weekend. It was not, however, the correct John Sullivan. Indeed, it was an impostor. And not a very good one.
One who, when asked when he played for the Braves said, “1986 or 1987, I’m not sure.” And who was out of shape even for a guy in his 50s and couldn’t even really swing a softball bat. The guy attended John Smoltz‘s number retirement ceremony and a dinner and signed autographs for fans and everything before Bobby Cox, Andy Ashby, Jose Alvarez and others figured him out and confronted him.
“He got most of our cell phone numbers,” said Alvarez, who now resides in Greenville, S.C. “He invited me to appear in a golf tournament.”
So close. But if he thought more about his scam he could have pulled it off, actually. Indeed, all a guy with no apparent baseball ability whatsoever needs to do to make people think he played for the 1986-87 Braves would be to claim he was Andres Thomas.
(Thanks to Tim’s Neighbor for the heads up)
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)