Jose Valverde: I was just wiping sweat off my face

Jun 12, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT

Jose Valverde was asked about the alleged spitball today. Reports the Detroit Free Press:

Well, OK then.  Just a reminder:

source:

And:

source:

Look, ma!  My face is all clean!

1. deathmonkey41 - Jun 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM

What happened to reasonable doubt? Aren’t you all about Innocent Until Proven Guilty? You’re pretty much insinuating that he’s guilty without trial in the court of public opinion and that’s wrong…nah, I’m just kidding- the dude spit on the ball.

2. Kevin Gillman - Jun 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM

But couldn’t he come up with another excuse? Say there was a bug flying around, and he spit on that…LOL Vasilene Jose….Vasilene.

3. deathmonkey41 - Jun 12, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I’m guessing spitting on a ball has some effect or they wouldn’t have made it illegal, but I can’t imagine it’s the same as having a foreign substance on the bill of his cap or a piece of sandpaper in his pocket. When catchers ask for a new ball, don’t umps take the old one and examine it?

4. kevinbnyc - Jun 12, 2012 at 6:05 PM

What about every single time Andy Pettite pitches from the stretch? He puts the end of his glove over his mouth, and I’ve noticed (multiple times) his cheeks puffing out. I’m not saying he’s spitting on the ball, just that it’s possible what Valverde did looked worse than it was.

• Kevin Gillman - Jun 12, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I would imagine Kevin that many relievers spit on the ball, I mean are we all to believe that everyone stopped after it was banned? But Jose didn’t even hide it.

5. drewsylvania - Jun 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Joe Camel.

6. brewcrewfan54 - Jun 12, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Let’s keep beating this non-story to death.

• drewsylvania - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Sure you’re not a Tigers fan?

• brewcrewfan54 - Jun 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Positive

7. takingbovadasmoney - Jun 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM

YAWN!!!!!!!! The next pitch was a 93 MPH straight pitch. Not exactly your standard spit ball.

• drewsylvania - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:48 PM

So?

• djpostl - Jun 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Pitch/FX says different. It had a different rotation that the other fastballs thrown before/after.

8. mplsjoe - Jun 12, 2012 at 7:04 PM

He could have plausibly denied this 100 different ways. He picked the most implausible denial possible – whatever he was doing, it wasn’t wiping sweat off his face – thus confirming the truth of the allegation against him.

9. eaglesfan723 - Jun 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Rick Vaughn: [Seeing Harris take off his shirt, revealing white suff on his chest] What’s that shit on your chest?
    Eddie Harris: [Looking at his chest] Crisco.
    Eddie Harris: [wiping it across his head]
    Eddie Harris: Bardol.
    Eddie Harris: [wiping it along his waist line]
    Eddie Harris: Vagisil. Any one of them will give you another two to three inches drop on your curve ball. Of course if the umps are watching me real close I’ll rub a little jalapeo up my nose, get it runnin’, and if I need to load the ball up I just…
    Eddie Harris: [wipes his nose]
    Eddie Harris: …wipe my nose.
    Rick Vaughn: You put snot on the ball?
    Eddie Harris: I haven’t got an arm like you, kid. I have to put anything on it I can find. Someday you will too.

10. djpostl - Jun 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Lol, what part of the accusation involved him wiping his face? Moron needs to work on his story I guess.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4567)