Jun 12, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Rich Hill came back strong from last year’s Tommy John elbow surgery, reclaiming a spot in the Red Sox’s bullpen and throwing 14 innings with a 2.63 ERA, but now the left-hander will miss at least a month with a strained flexor muscle in that same elbow.
Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston says that actually qualifies as positive news, because the Red Sox sent Hill to be examined by Dr. James Andrews and feared he might have another torn ligament that would require surgery.
To replace Hill on the roster the Red Sox recalled Mark Melancon from Triple-A, where he recovered from an absolutely brutal first two weeks in Boston to get back on track as a potential late-inning reliever.
Melancon earned his trip down to Pawtucket by going 0-2 with a 49.50 ERA in four appearances to begin the season, allowing 11 runs in two innings. And then he dominated at Triple-A, throwing 22 innings with a 0.82 ERA and 27/3 K/BB ratio to look like the shutdown reliever the Red Sox traded Jed Lowrie to the Astros to get this offseason.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 24
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)