Jun 12, 2012, 9:52 AM EDT
Last night Trout either drove in or scored all of the Angels’ runs. The last one was set up by him drawing a walk and then stealing second base. Throw in the earlier homer (and an earlier stolen base) and you’re aware of just how complete a package this kid is.
Trout leads the AL in stolen bases besides being in the minors for almost the entire month of April. Since he’s been called up he’s been an on-base machine. And the Angels have gone 27-15 and find themselves a mere 2.5 games out of first place.
There are reasons why we are hearing more about Harper than Trout. Harper was on the cover of SI when he was 16 and was the number one overall pick. Most of his games are played and end when most of the sporting press is awake. But let’s not forget about this kid out west. Because he’s been absolutely astounding.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 9
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 47
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)