Jun 12, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT
Florida high school right-hander Nick Travieso is the latest first-rounder to sign, as Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Reds have agreed to a $2 million bonus with the No. 14 overall pick that’s $375,000 below the slot value.
Baseball America ranked Travieso as the 40th-best player in the draft class, noting his mid-90s fastball and lack of refinement with his off-speed pitches because this was his first year as a full-time starter.
He had committed to play college ball at the University of Miami, but obviously $2 million can change a lot of plans.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)