Jun 12, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT
Florida high school right-hander Nick Travieso is the latest first-rounder to sign, as Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Reds have agreed to a $2 million bonus with the No. 14 overall pick that’s $375,000 below the slot value.
Baseball America ranked Travieso as the 40th-best player in the draft class, noting his mid-90s fastball and lack of refinement with his off-speed pitches because this was his first year as a full-time starter.
He had committed to play college ball at the University of Miami, but obviously $2 million can change a lot of plans.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (99)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)