Jun 12, 2012, 5:47 PM EST
Florida high school right-hander Nick Travieso is the latest first-rounder to sign, as Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Reds have agreed to a $2 million bonus with the No. 14 overall pick that’s $375,000 below the slot value.
Baseball America ranked Travieso as the 40th-best player in the draft class, noting his mid-90s fastball and lack of refinement with his off-speed pitches because this was his first year as a full-time starter.
He had committed to play college ball at the University of Miami, but obviously $2 million can change a lot of plans.
- Jose Iglesias, with an extended aside about cheeseburger and burrito stats 0
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 4
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 29
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86