Jun 12, 2012, 5:47 PM EST
Florida high school right-hander Nick Travieso is the latest first-rounder to sign, as Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Reds have agreed to a $2 million bonus with the No. 14 overall pick that’s $375,000 below the slot value.
Baseball America ranked Travieso as the 40th-best player in the draft class, noting his mid-90s fastball and lack of refinement with his off-speed pitches because this was his first year as a full-time starter.
He had committed to play college ball at the University of Miami, but obviously $2 million can change a lot of plans.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)