Jun 12, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT
Florida high school right-hander Nick Travieso is the latest first-rounder to sign, as Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Reds have agreed to a $2 million bonus with the No. 14 overall pick that’s $375,000 below the slot value.
Baseball America ranked Travieso as the 40th-best player in the draft class, noting his mid-90s fastball and lack of refinement with his off-speed pitches because this was his first year as a full-time starter.
He had committed to play college ball at the University of Miami, but obviously $2 million can change a lot of plans.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)