UPDATE: Vlad Guerrero is NOT giving up the comeback

Jun 12, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

UPDATE:  The Jays have released Vlad at his request. He’s now a free agent.

UPDATE: This has gotten even more complicated. Apparently he has not technically quit, but he has left the team and is telling the Jays he wants to be in the big leagues or no place at all. He is eligible, as of yesterday, to opt out of his deal with Toronto. Now it remains to be seen if the Jays will call his bluff.

11:15: Um, scratch that. Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Guerrero is NOT giving up his comeback. Indeed, his agent just told Rosenthal that “nothing is further from the truth.”

So, um, as you were everyone.

11:00AM: Vladimir Guerrero, trying to latch on with the Toronto Blue Jays, has logged 11 games and 50 plate appearances in the minors this year. But that’s apparently all he’s gonna do, as it’s being reported that he has decided to call it quits:

No official word yet on why he’s calling it a day, but Dustin Parkes says that Vlad has looked terrible in his short time in Triple-A, so maybe he just knows it’s over.

If it is over, 449 homers, 2590 hits, a .318 career average, a career .939 OPS, the reputation of one of the strongest arms of his time and an MVP award make for a pretty good Hall of Fame case.

1. proudlycanadian - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM

It was worth the effort. Now he knows that it really is all over.

2. mybrunoblog - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Gotta think Johnny Damon and Manny Ramirez can’t be far behind.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Yeah, they’re gone after 2012. Moyer too, I’d imagine. And Vizquel. And Thome.

Sigh.

3. cur68 - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Aw, heck. Say it aint so…another Expo gone? *sigh*

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I am with you Cur. I was really looking forward to seeing him give it one last “hoorah” so to speak. But you bring up an interesting point.
      How many former Expos can their be currently playing in MLB?

• cur68 - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I think around 19 of them. Stairs has retired (alas), and I’ve lost track of some others. Brandon Phillips is going strong though.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Fear not, for one day Matt Stairs will be King.

• cur68 - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Just saw the update. YES! Hang in there, bro! Natural Born Hitters should not just fade away in AAA, man. He probably can’t run for anything anymore, but hitting them into the cheap seats precludes that. Lord knows the Beaver Men need some clutch hitting. They are woeful with RISP. If/del> When he comes up, he can give Davis, Arencebia, Johnson, & Gomes some lessons in bad ball hitting, since they swing at so many of them.

• cur68 - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Well, that was a strike through fail, 8)

Take two: “When he comes up he can give Davis, Arencebia, Johnson, & Gomes some lessons in bad ball hitting, since they swing at so many of them.”

4. Chris K - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM

My biggest question is whether he gets in as an Angel or an Expo. I hope with every fibre that it is a ‘Spo, but I’m not sure how nostalgia driven vs. money driven Vlad will be…

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Maybe the Rangers – after all, they were the only team he went to the World series with.

That’s probably silly, though. I’m thinking Angels.

5. shaggylocks - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM

He was a frightening opponent in his time. My hat goes off to him.

6. shaggylocks - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM

My favorite Vlad moment: http://mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=6106853

7. bmorelikeme - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Even though hes apparently not quitting, I’ll still get nostagic. Man was my favorite player in his prime. Loved the cannon outta rightfield and his doubles off pitches that bounced in the dirt. I know we baltimorons didn’t get to enjoy him during his best years, but it was still cool to see him play for a year in black and orange.

8. Matt S - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I remember watching him during his rookie year (’97?) run the bases like a gazelle and throw guys out by several feet from his perch in right field- he just looked like he was on another level than most guys. Although I was delighted at the time (as a Giants fan), I must admit it was tough to watch him boot the ball around in right field during the 2010 World Series. In fact, I have long believed that the Giants erred in not pursuing him harder after he became a free agent in 2003.

9. SusanEAC - Jun 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I’d be surprised if he retired now, after all the work he put in to get here this year. Did anyone see him drive the ball last night? Triple to the wall on a rope, then three hard singles. Guy may swing at a lot but he makes mondo contact still, a guy made a blog post about that yesterday.

10. myedayok - Jun 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I still wouldn’t mind if he played one series just to see what’s there. If not, nothing lost>

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3751)