Jun 12, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
UPDATE: The Jays have released Vlad at his request. He’s now a free agent.
UPDATE: This has gotten even more complicated. Apparently he has not technically quit, but he has left the team and is telling the Jays he wants to be in the big leagues or no place at all. He is eligible, as of yesterday, to opt out of his deal with Toronto. Now it remains to be seen if the Jays will call his bluff.
11:15: Um, scratch that. Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Guerrero is NOT giving up his comeback. Indeed, his agent just told Rosenthal that “nothing is further from the truth.”
So, um, as you were everyone.
11:00AM: Vladimir Guerrero, trying to latch on with the Toronto Blue Jays, has logged 11 games and 50 plate appearances in the minors this year. But that’s apparently all he’s gonna do, as it’s being reported that he has decided to call it quits:
— Mike Wilner (@Wilnerness590) June 12, 2012
No official word yet on why he’s calling it a day, but Dustin Parkes says that Vlad has looked terrible in his short time in Triple-A, so maybe he just knows it’s over.
If it is over, 449 homers, 2590 hits, a .318 career average, a career .939 OPS, the reputation of one of the strongest arms of his time and an MVP award make for a pretty good Hall of Fame case.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 1
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)