Jun 12, 2012, 12:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s all over. The Blue Jays have released Vlad Guerrero, at his request. He is a free agent.
12:00 PM: One reporter is saying that Vlad Guerrero is done, but Vlad’s agent is saying no way, nothing is further from the truth. Perchance there is something in between here? Enrique Rojas says there is: he has left the Jays’ Triple-A team in Las Vegas and has given the team an ultimatum:
After going 4-for-5 with a triple and two RBIs for Triple-A Las Vegas on Monday, Guerrero gathered his belongings and went to his home in Anaheim, Calif.
“Guerrero is ready to play today in the big leagues,” a source close to the nine-time All-Star said.
So maybe he is done. Maybe he isn’t. Guerrero was eligible to opt-out of his minor league deal as of yesterday. He has taken the first step towards doing that, it seems. Whether it’s accomplished depends on how the Blue Jays respond.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)