Jun 12, 2012, 12:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s all over. The Blue Jays have released Vlad Guerrero, at his request. He is a free agent.
12:00 PM: One reporter is saying that Vlad Guerrero is done, but Vlad’s agent is saying no way, nothing is further from the truth. Perchance there is something in between here? Enrique Rojas says there is: he has left the Jays’ Triple-A team in Las Vegas and has given the team an ultimatum:
After going 4-for-5 with a triple and two RBIs for Triple-A Las Vegas on Monday, Guerrero gathered his belongings and went to his home in Anaheim, Calif.
“Guerrero is ready to play today in the big leagues,” a source close to the nine-time All-Star said.
So maybe he is done. Maybe he isn’t. Guerrero was eligible to opt-out of his minor league deal as of yesterday. He has taken the first step towards doing that, it seems. Whether it’s accomplished depends on how the Blue Jays respond.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)