Jun 12, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Octavio Dotel has been on the active roster but unavailable to pitch because of an elbow injury for more than a week now, so today the Tigers finally decided to place him on the disabled list.
Officially his injury is listed as elbow inflammation. Dotel had tons of arm problems early in his career, but the well-traveled right-hander has been pretty healthy for a while now and continued to be very effective at age 38 with a .203 opponents’ batting average and 27 strikeouts in 18 innings for Detroit.
Because he hasn’t pitched since June 2 the DL stint is backdated, meaning Dotel could potentially return as soon as Monday. In the meantime Triple-A call-up Luke Putkonen takes his bullpen spot.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 81
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 27
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (93)