Jun 12, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Octavio Dotel has been on the active roster but unavailable to pitch because of an elbow injury for more than a week now, so today the Tigers finally decided to place him on the disabled list.
Officially his injury is listed as elbow inflammation. Dotel had tons of arm problems early in his career, but the well-traveled right-hander has been pretty healthy for a while now and continued to be very effective at age 38 with a .203 opponents’ batting average and 27 strikeouts in 18 innings for Detroit.
Because he hasn’t pitched since June 2 the DL stint is backdated, meaning Dotel could potentially return as soon as Monday. In the meantime Triple-A call-up Luke Putkonen takes his bullpen spot.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 58
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)