Jun 12, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Octavio Dotel has been on the active roster but unavailable to pitch because of an elbow injury for more than a week now, so today the Tigers finally decided to place him on the disabled list.
Officially his injury is listed as elbow inflammation. Dotel had tons of arm problems early in his career, but the well-traveled right-hander has been pretty healthy for a while now and continued to be very effective at age 38 with a .203 opponents’ batting average and 27 strikeouts in 18 innings for Detroit.
Because he hasn’t pitched since June 2 the DL stint is backdated, meaning Dotel could potentially return as soon as Monday. In the meantime Triple-A call-up Luke Putkonen takes his bullpen spot.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)