Jun 12, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Octavio Dotel has been on the active roster but unavailable to pitch because of an elbow injury for more than a week now, so today the Tigers finally decided to place him on the disabled list.
Officially his injury is listed as elbow inflammation. Dotel had tons of arm problems early in his career, but the well-traveled right-hander has been pretty healthy for a while now and continued to be very effective at age 38 with a .203 opponents’ batting average and 27 strikeouts in 18 innings for Detroit.
Because he hasn’t pitched since June 2 the DL stint is backdated, meaning Dotel could potentially return as soon as Monday. In the meantime Triple-A call-up Luke Putkonen takes his bullpen spot.
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 1
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)