Jun 13, 2012, 12:23 AM EDT
Alex Rodriguez hit his 23rd career grand slam in the Yankees’ comeback win over the Braves on Tuesday, tying Lou Gehrig for the most in history.
The grand slam crown once figured to belong to Manny Ramirez, but he was unable to maintain his early career pace and currently stands at 21, pending his comeback with the A’s. He sits alone in third place on the slams list, with Eddie Murray fourth at 19 and Willie McCovey and Robin Ventura one behind at 18.
A-Rod now has 639 career homers, placing him fifth on the all-time list. Willie Mays is fourth at 660.
Jul 14, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Gomes is making $5 million in the second season of a two-year, $10 million deal, but at age 33 he’s struggled at the plate by hitting just .234 with five homers and a .680 OPS in 67 games.
Jul 14, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
We’ll probably watch it tonight. But it’ll still be boring old hat. Let’s freshen things up a bit.
Jul 14, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Jonathan Papelbon was made it very clear that he wants out of Philadelphia, but A.J. Burnett said yesterday that he has no plans to request a trade from the Phillies.
Jul 14, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT
OK, jokes aside. This is a very well done tribute video to Derek Jeter. Even Mr. Met and Red Sox fans agree.
Jul 14, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
I didn’t wanna, you guys. But I do this stuff for you. FOR YOU.
Jul 14, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
When in Rome, do as the Romans do. When in Minneapolis, eat a cheese-stuffed burger.
Jul 14, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
“You wanna hit grand slams today, Buster?” “Sure Madison. Can I call you Madison? That seems weird.”
Jul 14, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Perhaps the greatest trick Bud Selig ever pulled was getting people to believe that he was going to contract the Minnesota Twins.
Jul 14, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
Kershaw may be the better choice, but it seems like Mike Matheny is leaning toward his own guy.
Jul 14, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Minneapolis: home to a beautiful ballpark, some fantastic musical history and a statue of a pretty gross racist jackwagon right outside the friggin’ ballpark.
Jul 14, 2014, 6:00 AM EDT
The last baseball that counts for a few days. Enjoy it, folks.
Jul 13, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
The Athletics avoided a series sweep in Seattle. With their win, their 59th of the season, the A’s set a franchise mark for wins at the All-Star break.
Jul 13, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Chien-Ming Wang opted out of his minor league deal with the Reds and will look to continue his career elsewhere.
Jul 13, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
Randy Wolf cleared out his locker at Triple-A Norfolk. He may be looking to join his fifth organization in 2014, having already spent time with the Mariners, Diamondbacks, Marlins, and Orioles.
Jul 13, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
Huston Street is headed to the All-Star Game in Minnesota, replacing teammate Tyson Ross.
Jul 13, 2014, 7:48 PM EDT
Thanks to Joey Gallo, Team USA earned a victory over the World team in the Futures Game on Sunday at Target Field. Gallo earned MVP honors.
Jul 13, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
Maybe Madison Bumgarner should be in the Home Run Derby.
Jul 13, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Joey Gallo is quickly becoming a household name, especially after the round of batting practice he had on Sunday prior to the Futures Game.
Jul 13, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
In the program for Sunday night’s Futures Game, there’s a pretty cool map that shows the hometown of each player on the Team USA roster. Except … well … see if you can spot the mistake …
Jul 13, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
One of baseball’s coolest things is about to happen, but no one will see it.
- The Home Run Derby is a boring anachronism. Let’s replace it with something fun. 10
- Greetings from All-Star week in Minneapolis 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 8
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 51
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 39
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 5
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)