Jun 13, 2012, 1:20 PM EST
Within minutes of me writing about Anthony Rizzo’s incredible Triple-A numbers yesterday the Cubs first base prospect exited that afternoon’s game with a knee injury.
Rizzo slid into a fence chasing after a foul ball and limped off the field, but before Cubs fans accuse me of being a jinx there’s good news: He’s been diagnosed with merely a bruise and is day-to-day.
That means his season line will remain a .367 batting average with 22 homers and a 1.173 OPS for a while and the Cubs will have a temporary break from questions about why he’s still in the minors.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 18
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 27
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 29
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 30
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)