Jun 13, 2012, 1:20 PM EST
Within minutes of me writing about Anthony Rizzo’s incredible Triple-A numbers yesterday the Cubs first base prospect exited that afternoon’s game with a knee injury.
Rizzo slid into a fence chasing after a foul ball and limped off the field, but before Cubs fans accuse me of being a jinx there’s good news: He’s been diagnosed with merely a bruise and is day-to-day.
That means his season line will remain a .367 batting average with 22 homers and a 1.173 OPS for a while and the Cubs will have a temporary break from questions about why he’s still in the minors.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)