Jun 13, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
After his latest setback wiped out another planned minor-league rehab assignment Brett Gardner is getting a pair of opinions on his injured elbow from Dr. James Andrews and Dr. Tim Kremchek.
Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger reports that the Yankees “refused to fully divulge what doctors have learned” and “declined to share details about the condition of his elbow” until after hearing from both doctors.
In the meantime manager Joe Girardi ruled out a torn ligament and Tommy John surgery, which would have ended Gardner’s season.
For his part Gardner insisted to reporters that he’ll play again this year, saying: “It really doesn’t matter what [Dr. Andrews] said. I think I’m going to play.” Of course, that’s not really how elbow injuries and doctors work, and the fact that missing the remainder of the season is now even in the discussion seems like a pretty discouraging sign.
Gardner has already missed two months with an injury initially described as an elbow strain.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)