Brian Roberts returns, goes 3 for 4

Jun 13, 2012, 9:40 AM EST

Pittsburgh Pirates v Baltimore Orioles Getty Images

Not many sights in baseball more welcome last night than seeing Brian Roberts back in a major league lineup.  The Orioles’ second baseman, sidelined for 13 months due to a concussion, made his return and went 3 for 4 with a sac fly.

The crowd gave him a standing ovation. And he was clearly emotional about it all after the game:

“I actually got a little more emotional than I thought I was going to. It took me a second to gather myself. It was very special and much appreciated, that’s for sure. Everyone has been so good to me here in my career, the fans have been so great and supportive of me the whole time. That was very special … I’m just so grateful. I sometimes don’t have words right now for what I’ve been through and where we are now. I’m humbled and grateful to have the opportunity.”

Maybe it’s irrational, but it’s so much harder to see a guy lose extended time to a concussion than it is to, say, a leg or arm injury. I’m not sure why that is. Either way, it’s so nice to see Roberts back.

1. deathmonkey41 - Jun 13, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Not that I wish bad health upon the man, but as a Yankees fan, I kind of liked not seeing him playing. He’s a good player.

• dangle13x - Jun 13, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I hate the Yankees as much as anyone, but you knobs realize this was a compliment?

2. goskinsvt - Jun 13, 2012 at 9:49 AM

O’s fans haven’t had a ton to cheer about over the last decade, I’m glad to see that Roberts can be a part of a winning team for once, he deserves it.

3. redguy12588 - Jun 13, 2012 at 9:51 AM

RIP Pirates.

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:01 AM

This is excellent news. The O’s could certainly use him, and it’s great to see him back.

• dangle13x - Jun 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM

My fantasy team could use him.

5. townballblog - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM

This was actually the story line I was looking forward to the most last night. He’s a good guy and he worked so hard to get back.

Very happy for him. And as a baseball fan, I’m happy for the sport as well – never good to see one of the stars of the game, or a journeyman for that matter, have to leave due to injury.

6. bmorelikeme - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM

It was great to see him dancing off first base, making the pitcher sweat alittle bit. Hopefully we can get Markakis and Reimold back soon, really solidify the lineup for the long haul.

• psuravens19 - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I agree about Roberts and Markakis should be back sometime in July. However, I wouldn’t count on Reimold, I think he may be done for the season (but I hope not).

• bmorelikeme - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Oh I agree, I’m not counting on Reimold, just hoping that we could slide his bat into the lineup behind wieters for a playoff push.

A potential lineup of Roberts, Hardy, Markakis, Jones, Wieters, Reimold, Davis, 3B/LF platoon just makes me happy.

Really, I should probably just be happy I can still day dream about the playoffs in mid June.

• rockthered1286 - Jun 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Keep an eye on the trade deadline and I’m sure we will see a move for a LF, because Reimold is a lost cause this season. Solid bat and average D would be nice. Shame Pearce is young and doesn’t have a hot bat because his defensive play is nothing short of fantastic. Same goes for XA when he was up. For once we will be buyers. Not just for a playoff push but because we actually have trade bait.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4440)
  2. M. Kemp (3590)
  3. M. Cabrera (2856)
  4. M. Morse (2531)
  5. J. Kang (2368)
  1. J. Upton (2353)
  2. C. Headley (2139)
  3. A. Rios (2110)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1825)
  5. J. Peavy (1789)