Jun 13, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
We’ve heard a lot of back and forth about what went down with the folding of Curt Schilling’s company. The Rhode Island politicians have grandstanded, Curt Schilling has postured and there is enough ugliness to it all that most people may want to wash their hands of it.
But before you wash your hands of it, go read this account of the spouse of a 38 Studios employee. In it she explains just how quickly and thoroughly her family was uprooted, then cut loose and then dealt a series of devastating financial blows at the hands of a company which didn’t seem to give a crap. It’s nothing short of harrowing.
And no, the point here isn’t to mock and shame Curt Schilling. He’s a handy tie-in to make this quasi-relevant to a baseball blog, I will admit that. The point is to highlight a scenario in which a government bent over backwards to lure business (while caring little if any to regulate business) while a company treated its employees like tax-break and incentive vouchers, caring little for what happened to them the moment money stopped being made.
It’s an all-too-common story, frankly. And it amazes me that no one ever seems to care when it happens nor cares to learn from it while supporting policies that allow it to happen over and over again.
- Carlos Carrasco has a no-hitter through eight vs. the Rays 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 7
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 30
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 69
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)