Jun 13, 2012, 12:31 PM EST
We’ve heard a lot of back and forth about what went down with the folding of Curt Schilling’s company. The Rhode Island politicians have grandstanded, Curt Schilling has postured and there is enough ugliness to it all that most people may want to wash their hands of it.
But before you wash your hands of it, go read this account of the spouse of a 38 Studios employee. In it she explains just how quickly and thoroughly her family was uprooted, then cut loose and then dealt a series of devastating financial blows at the hands of a company which didn’t seem to give a crap. It’s nothing short of harrowing.
And no, the point here isn’t to mock and shame Curt Schilling. He’s a handy tie-in to make this quasi-relevant to a baseball blog, I will admit that. The point is to highlight a scenario in which a government bent over backwards to lure business (while caring little if any to regulate business) while a company treated its employees like tax-break and incentive vouchers, caring little for what happened to them the moment money stopped being made.
It’s an all-too-common story, frankly. And it amazes me that no one ever seems to care when it happens nor cares to learn from it while supporting policies that allow it to happen over and over again.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 0
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 23
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 79
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)