Jun 13, 2012, 12:31 PM EST
We’ve heard a lot of back and forth about what went down with the folding of Curt Schilling’s company. The Rhode Island politicians have grandstanded, Curt Schilling has postured and there is enough ugliness to it all that most people may want to wash their hands of it.
But before you wash your hands of it, go read this account of the spouse of a 38 Studios employee. In it she explains just how quickly and thoroughly her family was uprooted, then cut loose and then dealt a series of devastating financial blows at the hands of a company which didn’t seem to give a crap. It’s nothing short of harrowing.
And no, the point here isn’t to mock and shame Curt Schilling. He’s a handy tie-in to make this quasi-relevant to a baseball blog, I will admit that. The point is to highlight a scenario in which a government bent over backwards to lure business (while caring little if any to regulate business) while a company treated its employees like tax-break and incentive vouchers, caring little for what happened to them the moment money stopped being made.
It’s an all-too-common story, frankly. And it amazes me that no one ever seems to care when it happens nor cares to learn from it while supporting policies that allow it to happen over and over again.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 118
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (118)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)