Kyle Drabek leaves game after feeling a “popping” sensation in his elbow

Jun 13, 2012, 4:32 PM EDT

This sounds positively frightening:

It may not be a serious injury, as the lack of pain is a good sign (ed: unless all his nerves were simultaneously frayed, right?). We’ll know more later, however.

On the year Drabek is 4-6 with a 4.46 ERA in 12 starts.

1. randygnyc - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Blue Jays sinking like the titanic.

Drabek is a nice talent. Hope it’s nothing serious. If it is, I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

2. paint771 - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Man, been tough going for the Jays. They just can’t seem to quite put it together. I think they’re officially falling out of contender status.

Not that Drabek is such an integral piece, but the early closer struggles, Bautista’s horrible start (although another HR today), the LF situation, Lind, and now two starters potentially gone including their best. They’ve had real flashes of great things – Bautista lately, Rasmus hitting his stride, EE’s year, Morrow, the bullpen lefties (particularly Perez), the quality starts from the mid-rotation, some surprisingly game mid-level prospect fill-ins (Gomes, Cooper, Crawford). But it sure does seem one step forward two steps back, and instead of buyers at the deadline, I’m wondering if it’s not more of the same – some creative trading for buy-low potential impact pieces, a lot of airing out of minor leaguers to see who can stick, and another low-to-mid-80s 4th place finish with visions of contending still a perpetual year off.

3. proudlycanadian - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Drabek has had Tommy John surgery in the past and said that this felt different. A trip to the DL is almost certain. The Jays no longer have to decide between Chavez and Cecil as the replacement for Morrow. Both of them should be joining the rotation very soon. Chavez has had a good year pitching in hitter friendly Las Vegas and Cecil has pitched quite well in his recent starts. As there is no crying in baseball, both of them will move up and perform well.

On the other hand, crying is allowed in fantasy baseball. In a short time span, I have lost Morrow, McCarthy and Drabek. The other pitchers on my fantasy team had better stay healthy.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Drabek is now saying that he is not concerned. Tests were done and the elbow felt strong. Obviously, more tests will be conducted tomorrow.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I guess there goes your trade for Doc pipe dream, huh, proudly?

• proudlycanadian - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:37 PM

They are both injured.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Right, but it sounds likely that Doc will be back sooner.

4. Utley's Hair - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM

That’s a dang shame. Promising kid. I hope it’s not too serious.

On another note, my first reaction to reading the tweet was this: What the hell difference does it make whether Farrell is feeling any pain?

• paint771 - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:42 PM

If it helps, I’m feeling Farrell’s pain.

5. illegalblues - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Probably just scar tissue from his first TJ

6. deathmonkey41 - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:52 PM

That simultaneously sucks and blows for Drabek if something serious.

7. hushbrother - Jun 13, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I hope Kyle is ok because he’s someone I root for. His father was one of my favorite pitchers of all time.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3612)