Men’s Journal survey: A.J. Pierzynski is baseball’s most hated player. Philly has the most obnoxious fans
Jun 13, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Men’s Journal didn’t exactly get a scientific sample, but they did survey 100 ballplayers to find out who the most hated man in baseball is. Because he always tops such lists you will not be surprised to learn that A.J. Pierzynski tops this one too:
In a Men’s Journal survey of 100 Major League Baseball players, White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski was voted “most hated player” with 34% of the votes. “He likes to talk a lot of sh**, and I’ve heard he’s a bad teammate,” one National League pitcher tells Men’s Journal. “He’s been a prick to guys on his own pitching staff. Basically, if you haven’t got five years in the big leagues, he treats you like you’re a peasant. He’s that kind of guy.”
To be honest, I’m way more interested in knowing what ballplayer uses phrases like “he treats you like a peasant” than I am in learning how much of a prick Pierzynski is, but I suppose Men’s Journal needs to preserve anonymity. In other player voting:
Philadelphia was crowned the city with the most obnoxious fans. “They boo their own players,” one opponent tells the magazine.
Moving right along, Todd Coffey was voted the player in the worst shape:
“Have you seen him running in from the bullpen?” says a division rival of Coffey. “He has bigger boobs than half the girls I’ve dated.”
Thanks, division rival. We really needed to know that.
The full poll results are published in the July issue of Men’s Journal on newsstands Friday, June 15. There will also be pictures of dudes in better shape than you, which will make you sorta hate yourself.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (102)