Men’s Journal survey: A.J. Pierzynski is baseball’s most hated player. Philly has the most obnoxious fans
Jun 13, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Men’s Journal didn’t exactly get a scientific sample, but they did survey 100 ballplayers to find out who the most hated man in baseball is. Because he always tops such lists you will not be surprised to learn that A.J. Pierzynski tops this one too:
In a Men’s Journal survey of 100 Major League Baseball players, White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski was voted “most hated player” with 34% of the votes. “He likes to talk a lot of sh**, and I’ve heard he’s a bad teammate,” one National League pitcher tells Men’s Journal. “He’s been a prick to guys on his own pitching staff. Basically, if you haven’t got five years in the big leagues, he treats you like you’re a peasant. He’s that kind of guy.”
To be honest, I’m way more interested in knowing what ballplayer uses phrases like “he treats you like a peasant” than I am in learning how much of a prick Pierzynski is, but I suppose Men’s Journal needs to preserve anonymity. In other player voting:
Philadelphia was crowned the city with the most obnoxious fans. “They boo their own players,” one opponent tells the magazine.
Moving right along, Todd Coffey was voted the player in the worst shape:
“Have you seen him running in from the bullpen?” says a division rival of Coffey. “He has bigger boobs than half the girls I’ve dated.”
Thanks, division rival. We really needed to know that.
The full poll results are published in the July issue of Men’s Journal on newsstands Friday, June 15. There will also be pictures of dudes in better shape than you, which will make you sorta hate yourself.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 2
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 24
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)