Men’s Journal survey: A.J. Pierzynski is baseball’s most hated player. Philly has the most obnoxious fans

Jun 13, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

Barrett Pierzynski Getty Getty Images

Men’s Journal didn’t exactly get a scientific sample, but they did survey 100 ballplayers to find out who the most hated man in baseball is. Because he always tops such lists you will not be surprised to learn that A.J. Pierzynski tops this one too:

In a Men’s Journal survey of 100 Major League Baseball players, White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski was voted “most hated player” with 34% of the votes. “He likes to talk a lot of sh**, and I’ve heard he’s a bad teammate,” one National League pitcher tells Men’s Journal. “He’s been a prick to guys on his own pitching staff. Basically, if you haven’t got five years in the big leagues, he treats you like you’re a peasant. He’s that kind of guy.”

To be honest, I’m way more interested in knowing what ballplayer uses phrases like “he treats you like a peasant” than I am in learning how much of a prick Pierzynski is, but I suppose Men’s Journal needs to preserve anonymity. In other player voting:

Philadelphia was crowned the city with the most obnoxious fans. “They boo their own players,” one opponent tells the magazine.

Moving right along, Todd Coffey was voted the player in the worst shape:

“Have you seen him running in from the bullpen?” says a division rival of Coffey. “He has bigger boobs than half the girls I’ve dated.”

Thanks, division rival. We really needed to know that.

The full poll results are published in the July issue of Men’s Journal on newsstands Friday, June 15.  There will also be pictures of dudes in better shape than you, which will make you sorta hate yourself.

1. El Bravo - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM

The sun rose today as well. Did “Men’s Journal” note that as well?

• captainwisdom8888 - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Honorable mention for Josh Beckett? He is a flat out J. O.

-PS im a Phils fan, yea there have been occasions where we have booed our own, but to me its tough love. Nobody questions our devotion, not even for a second

2. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:04 AM

That peasant line is my favourite part of this whole thing.

• ptfu - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Treated like a peasant, hmm?

• mrwillie - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM

How do you know he’s king?

Ehh, because he hasn’t got sh** all over him.

• natstowngreg - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Graham Chapman, RIP

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 13, 2012 at 11:05 AM

If he treated players like pheasants, that would be even better.

• jwbiii - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM

3. chill1184 - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Granted I hate all things Philidelphia but what fan base DOESNT boo their own players?

• CJ - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM

That’s a clown question, bro

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Jeeeeeez. Even the Liberty Bell and the Betsy Ross House?!?

• CJ - Jun 13, 2012 at 11:01 AM

looks like he even hates the spelling.

• basedrum777 - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Philly phans have puked on opposing fans in the past….

• Utley's Hair - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Um…no. That one guy who did it that one time was a dipsh!t who puked on a Phillies Phan. Even the snarky comments should have a basis in reality.

4. deathmonkey41 - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Yeah, it’s the same thing in New York. If you make a lot of money and don’t perform, you’re going to hear about it.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Sounds like my wife! Hey-oooo!!!!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Or if you make a lot of money, and get multiple MVPs, and carry your team to the playoffs AND through the playoffs, people still boo you because fans are idiots.

• basedrum777 - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Yankees fans boo bad performances and then eventually bad “series” of performances. Arod gets booed because he’s perceived as a big douche.

5. The Dangerous Mabry - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:18 AM

As much as I agree that Phillies fans are the most obnoxious (that comes from being a fan of another team but living near Philadelphia, so my observations may be biased) the reasoning of “they boo their own players” is pretty weak. I don’t think I can think of a single team whose fans haven’t booed their own players at some point. Perhaps it’s more prevalent and regular in Philadelphia. I can’t say. But just about every team’s fans have found reason to boo their own from time to time.

• skeleteeth - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Funny. I referred to the 7th inning stretch as ‘Time to boo Rich Gedman’ growing up…

• carlosruiz51 - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:08 PM

….Growing up for me was Von Hayes….5 for 1!!!

6. caladan607 - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:19 AM

The comments about AJ have been consistent for years. I don’t think it’s news to anyone who follows baseball. Same goes for the Philly fans even though I’ve met some respectable ones who visit the Giant’s board. The Coffey tidbit was news though not really something I want to read while enjoying my morning cornflakes. Not sure if this is enough to make me buy the magazine as I’d really rather focus on the games and stats.

1943 is right in that the peasant line is great. It shows there is no love for AJ among baseball players, even his own teammates don’t like the guy. That’s just sad. I wonder if he even cares. Probably not.

• Francisco (FC) - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:35 AM

A.J. is Life’s version of Jack Parkman.

• mrwillie - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Makes you wonder why in the world Fox hired him for the WS coverage last year. I sure hope they wise up this year, or else I won’t be watching (the pre/post game, not the WS itself).

• sabatimus - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM

What? I’m sure this is PRECISELY why they hired him–Fox is nothing without 1) controversy, and 2) the Buck/McCarver death of joy and reason combo.

• cjbdelaney - Jul 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Absolutely. I thought he was an undesirable announcer and who wants a guy that everyone seemingly hates talking about the World Series?! I won’t be watching if he is on again as well. Plenty of other more pleasant options!

• howiehandles - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Actually, his teammates, and ex-teammates have stood up for him. All except Boone Logan. Who you ask? Logan was universally disliked on the Sox. His nickname, ‘Big League Boone’. A.J. was one of the only guys on the team to put Logan’s attitude in it’s proper place.

7. Jonny 5 - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:40 AM

“Philadelphia was crowned the city with the most obnoxious fans.”

Since this is more than likely a majority of players not from Philadelphia, I’d venture to say the fans in Philly have been doing their jobs quite well. Congrats Philly fans for being the most obnoxious fans in baseball towards the opposition players. Be proud Phans, be very proud.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I say, “Meh.”

• CJ - Jun 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Hell, by the standard in the article even Philly’s minor league fans are obnoxious. I’m proud of the fact that our fans are consistent throughout all levels of the system.

8. henryd3rd - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:42 AM

So tell us something we didn’t know!

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Um…there have only been two players ever who attended an Ivy League school?

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Glanville, DeRosa, Venable, Ausmus, Darling . . . that’s just off the top of my head.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Really. How about that! I only knew Glanville and Venable did.

• indaburg - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:21 PM

That made me curious to look it up. I only knew of three myself. It appears there have been eleven players who attended the Ivies: http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/22780

• ptfu - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Chris Young the really tall pitcher went to Princeton. So did Ross Ohlendorf. There are surely lots more Ivy-educated players.

9. stex52 - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM

AJ is a given. Everyone knows that one. As to fans, I don’t know how the Mets’ fans ever blew their lead. In my experience, they make Phillies fans look like amateurs.

10. humanexcrement - Jun 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM

There are times, especially in competitive environments, when you need to be an asshole–if, for no other reason, than the fact that being an asshole is the only thing you can do when you encounter a real asshole. But there are two types–there’s the guy on your side who’s a jerk but has your back and knows how to use his aggressive qualities for a certain benefit (anyone seen Stiffler in the latest American Pie movie?) and the guy who’s just a miserable piece of garbage and treats everyone like shit because he’s a thoroughly unhappy cunt whose only goal is to make everyone else more miserable than he is. AJ Pierzynski strikes me as that type. Something about him leading every single poll of most hated player–hands down beating out guys like Roger Clemens, ARod, and Craig Biggio, says something to me.

• cogitobaseballergosum - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Craig Biggio? I never heard of Craig Biggio being anything but a good guy, well-liked by teammates and active in the community.

• howiehandles - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Considering two of those three guys are retired, were they even in the poll?

11. jdd428 - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM

The quote about AJ is interesting. I’m not saying he isn’t a jerk and all, but the quote about him being a bad teammate and difficult to deal with for pitchers – I wonder if that’s more of hearsay tied to his reputation. The stories of him being a jerk to his pitchers in San Francisco is valid, but I haven’t heard a single White Sox pitcher say anything negative about him.

12. mybrunoblog - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Ozzie Guillen had the best AJ Pierzynski quote ever. He said ” If you play against him, you hate him, if you play with him, you hate him a little less”

13. marshawnlynchlookslikepredator - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Obnoxious is just a negative way for opposing players to say passionate.

14. dawglb - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Booooooooooo!

15. Marty - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:28 PM

A.J. stopped growing up at 13, when I’m sure he was another obnoxious prick making fun of farm little leaguers for playing on the 60 ft diamond.

16. Old Gator - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:29 PM

FYI the poll also dissed our own Slobbering Ozzie, while enunciating OOOOoooohs and AAAaaahhhhs over the Iron Giant; this from Clark Spencer at the Macondo Harold today, which I noticed during my vulturine circling abover Cooter Coghlan’s latent professional obituary:

Survey: Guillen “least respected” manager; Stanton in “best physical shape”

Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen didn’t fare well in a Men’s Journal magazine survey of 100 big-league players. When asked to identify the manager they respected least, Guillen was mentioned by 36 percent of the respondents — considerably more than the runner-up, Boston’s Bobby Valentine (14 percent). Third on the list is Cleveland’s Manny Acta (5 percent).

In a release from Men’s Journal: Players bristle that Guillen is “loud” and “can get under your skin.” Says one opponent, “He loses it all the time.” Adds another, “He always preaches that he backs his players, but he’s been known to throw them under the bus.” A rival reliever says, “You can’t call your guys out every weekend, and he does that.”

Given how outspoken and prickly both can be, more so than most managers, it really comes as no surprise that Guillen and Valentine head the list. So far, though, I’ve yet to see Guillen throw any Marlins player under the bus, or call anyone out, and there have been a couple of occasions when I thought he might.

The survey also asked players to identify the “player in best physical shape.” The winner: Giancarlo Stanton, who was mentioned by 28 percent of the respondents.

From Men’s Journal: “He’s a real-life Under Armour mannequin,” one major leaguer says, marveling at the 6-foot-5, 248-pound outfielder, a former USC football recruit whose off-season rituals include running the stairs at UCLA’s track stadium. “He’s not normal, not human.” An NL slugger adds, “I don’t think he has any body fat.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/2012/06/survey-guillen-least-respected-manager-stanton-in-best-physical-shape.html#storylink=cpy

17. pogodog7 - Jun 13, 2012 at 3:51 PM

It is too bad that the survey didn’t go back 20 years. Everyone on the Baltimore Orioles HATED Albert Belle. I was at a game where a scuffle was about to break out involving Belle getting hit by a pitch while at bat. It didn’t go very far because none of the Orioles got out of the dugout to help Belle. The guy on deck just walked away. It was going to be Albert vs. the entire other team. Belle looked around and then calmed down real fast while escaping his deserved fate.

18. jlovenotjlo - Jun 13, 2012 at 4:23 PM

My friend saw A.J. at a bar a couple of years ago. He excitedly and not very obnoxiously said something along the lines of “AJ! I’m a huge fan, you’re the best!”

AJ scowled back angrily “You don’t know me, so don’t call me AJ. You call me Mr. Pierzynski”.

My friend was crushed, and as a White Sox fan, Mr. Pierzynski continues to be my favorite player. Enough of these pro athletes treating us peasants like equals.

19. dannythebisforbeast - Jun 13, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Wasnt comment on this meaningless and pointless post but it wasnt previously mentioned… What tarts out there read Men’s Journal anyway.

• howiehandles - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:07 AM

The one’s who have better things to do than comment on hardballtalk.

20. wayneswhirld - Jun 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I second Josh Beckett as the most surly, arrogant player. And also I’m a huge Fightin’ Phils fan. I’d rate them one of the most aggressive fans, but mostly it’s that they’re passionate. They were known to boo their players when the team had their (many) losing seasons, but not lately.

21. cjbdelaney - Jul 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I am a huge Boston fan, Beckett is a pig.

Three legends off to Cooperstown