Jun 13, 2012, 8:54 PM EDT
The A’s sent Brandon McCarthy back to the Bay Area on Tuesday to get an MRI on his right shoulder.
The results are in, and the news is positive.
According to Jane Lee of MLB.com, structural damage has been ruled out and Oakland skipper Bob Melvin is optimistic that the 28-year-old right-hander won’t need another stint on the 15-day disabled list.
McCarthy will likely throw a bullpen session later this week to test the shoulder. If it goes well, he should remain on the active roster.
The impending free agent has registered a superb 2.79 ERA in 71 innings this year for the 27-35 Athletics.
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 0
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 38
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)