Quote of the Day: Zack Greinke would like to give his barber a shoutout

Jun 13, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

greinke getty Getty Images

Zack Greinke returned to Kansas City last night. After the game he spoke at length about his time in Kansas City, the state of the Royals and other such matters. The best exchange came after the reporter noticed that Greinke got a haircut that day:

Q: Any special meaning with the haircut today or was it just time?

A: Nah, [it was my] haircut guy from back in the day. He used to have a cool charm of some clippers, but they’re gone now. He does a good job. He told me to give him a shout-out today, too.

Q: What’s his name?

A: I wish I knew.

I love Greinke. I really do.

Less frivolously, the interview is an interesting one in that Greinke says that he was “pretty rude” in leaving the Royals, but felt he had to because if he was being a nice guy they never would have traded him. He offers a bunch of other pretty unvarnished honesty too. About the state of the Royals and some other things.

I guess what I like most about him is that he seems totally incapable of offering standard ballplayer cliches. He seems to think about the question given him and answers it in a direct way.  It’s a crime how little that happens when ballplayers, politicians and anyone else in the public spotlight is concerned.

1. seeinred87 - Jun 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I love that he said he doesn’t like talking to guys on the other team. A guy just seems less competitive to me when he’s all buddy-buddy with the other team before a game.

• rollinghighwayblues - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I’ve never been in the Show or even sniffed playing 162 games in 180 days but it’d be hard not to shoot the bull and cut loose with old friends and teammates during BP.

• rollinghighwayblues - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Former teammates*

• mgv38 - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Well, it is against the rules to fraternize with opposing players, but only while in uniform. Off the field is anotehr matter (although players break rule 3.09 all the time–and I agree with seeinred that it dosen’t seem like players who have a nice chat before the game are 100% serious about being competitive.

Rule is there for a reason, though I think it might be more about the appearance of collusion from back in the days when players consorting with gamblers was commonplace.

2. shaggytoodle - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM

He is pretty funny, last week when they asked him why he is so much better at home. He said that he gets to sleep in his own bed, knows hes getting a good cup a coffee. That stuff he gets on the road isn’t as good.

3. mybrunoblog - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Nahhhh. Quote of the day is all about the clown bro. All About the clown…..

4. brewcitybummer - Jun 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Another strong 7 inning outing last night made me wonder how many times in his stint with the Brewers Greinke has thrown over 7.0 innings. I counted 2 starts. In the same stretch Cole Hamels did so 16 times.

• nightman13 - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:58 PM

The Brewers used to let Sheets and Sabathia (he was a rental so that changes things) go long innings, but the new staff doesn’t seem to let anybody go long. Either that or they don’t have anybody capable of doing it.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 13, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Isn’t “yea” pronounced “yay”? Didn’t the author mean “yeah”?

I know this is small of me to point out, but it annoyed me.

• seeinred87 - Jun 13, 2012 at 2:11 PM

That bugged me too. Unfortunately, along with ya, it’s becoming a fairly common misspelling I think.

6. hodaghunter - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM

No the brewers let their pitchers go 7 innings max and then they turn it over to the K-Rod/Axford combo for the last two innings. The only exceptions would be when the pitcher has something special going on or the game is blown away which at that point they would go with the Dillard, Loe, or Perez type of option.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto