Jun 13, 2012, 5:02 PM EST
In terms of its size it’s nothing close to being the worst contract ever, but it’s harder to remember a deal where the team got less back in performance than the Red Sox have on the Bobby Jenks contract.
After signing a two-year, $12 million deal, Jenks has pitched a total of fifteen and two-thirds innings, all last year, to the tune of a 6.32 ERA. Then he had back surgery which was certainly fraught with complications and allegedly botched. Then this winter he was busted for a DUI. Now, it seems, everyone is preparing to part ways:
The Red Sox and embattled reliever Bobby Jenks have been trying to work out a settlement of the righthander’s contract, according to a major league source.
I’m not sure what incentive Jenks would have to settle for anything less than the amount he’s owed under his deal. Sure, he had the DUI but that isn’t what’s keeping him from pitching, it’s his totally screwed up back. Seems like any settlements to be had would be between the Sox, their insurers and the insurers for the doctors who operated on Jenks to decide who pays him what’s left on his deal.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)