Jun 13, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
In terms of its size it’s nothing close to being the worst contract ever, but it’s harder to remember a deal where the team got less back in performance than the Red Sox have on the Bobby Jenks contract.
After signing a two-year, $12 million deal, Jenks has pitched a total of fifteen and two-thirds innings, all last year, to the tune of a 6.32 ERA. Then he had back surgery which was certainly fraught with complications and allegedly botched. Then this winter he was busted for a DUI. Now, it seems, everyone is preparing to part ways:
The Red Sox and embattled reliever Bobby Jenks have been trying to work out a settlement of the righthander’s contract, according to a major league source.
I’m not sure what incentive Jenks would have to settle for anything less than the amount he’s owed under his deal. Sure, he had the DUI but that isn’t what’s keeping him from pitching, it’s his totally screwed up back. Seems like any settlements to be had would be between the Sox, their insurers and the insurers for the doctors who operated on Jenks to decide who pays him what’s left on his deal.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 11
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 68
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 34
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (108)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)