Jun 13, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
In terms of its size it’s nothing close to being the worst contract ever, but it’s harder to remember a deal where the team got less back in performance than the Red Sox have on the Bobby Jenks contract.
After signing a two-year, $12 million deal, Jenks has pitched a total of fifteen and two-thirds innings, all last year, to the tune of a 6.32 ERA. Then he had back surgery which was certainly fraught with complications and allegedly botched. Then this winter he was busted for a DUI. Now, it seems, everyone is preparing to part ways:
The Red Sox and embattled reliever Bobby Jenks have been trying to work out a settlement of the righthander’s contract, according to a major league source.
I’m not sure what incentive Jenks would have to settle for anything less than the amount he’s owed under his deal. Sure, he had the DUI but that isn’t what’s keeping him from pitching, it’s his totally screwed up back. Seems like any settlements to be had would be between the Sox, their insurers and the insurers for the doctors who operated on Jenks to decide who pays him what’s left on his deal.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)