The Red Sox and Bobby Jenks are working on a contract settlement

Jun 13, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT

jenks ap AP

In terms of its size it’s nothing close to being the worst contract ever, but it’s harder to remember a deal where the team got less back in performance than the Red Sox have on the Bobby Jenks contract.

After signing a two-year, $12 million deal, Jenks has pitched a total of fifteen and two-thirds innings, all last year, to the tune of a 6.32 ERA. Then he had back surgery which was certainly fraught with complications and allegedly botched. Then this winter he was busted for a DUI.  Now, it seems, everyone is preparing to part ways:

The Red Sox and embattled reliever Bobby Jenks have been trying to work out a settlement of the righthander’s contract, according to a major league source.

I’m not sure what incentive Jenks would have to settle for anything less than the amount he’s owed under his deal. Sure, he had the DUI but that isn’t what’s keeping him from pitching, it’s his totally screwed up back.  Seems like any settlements to be had would be between the Sox, their insurers and the insurers for the doctors who operated on Jenks to decide who pays him what’s left on his deal.

1. El Bravo - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I wish I had the ambition to go back to the HBT post that went up when the Saaaax traded him to the Sahx, b/c I said this was going to be terrible for the Sahx and great for the Saaaax. Sometimes I think I’m clairvoyant all of the time in the future because hindsight is 20/20….put that sentence in your pipe and smokith it.

• baseballisboring - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I’m lost.

But anyway…I thought it was a good deal at the time. He was coming off a season with a 4.44 ERA but his peripherals were still good. Fair to say I was wrong…

• pellypell - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Here ya go Bravo: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/16/heyman-jenks-is-looking-for-closer-money/

“Update: bad move Red Sox. I’m tellin’ ya, the man is done and there’s a fork clearly protruding from his side…”

• El Bravo - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:11 AM

You sir, have a better memory than I. I thought I had said that earlier and in slightly different context, but there it is.

• pellypell - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Actually, my Google Fu is strong.

2. uyf1950 - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Let’s see $12MM for just over 15 innings of work for Jenks for the Red Sox OR $8MM for no innings of work from Feliciano for my beloved Yankees. Jenks deal is the winner of the worst of the 2 by a hair. Only because of the money.

• bloodysock - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Feliciano worse than Kei Igawa? $46 million for 16 games and 71.2 innings?

• bozosforall - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Nothing worse than 86 years of high payroll with ZERO titles. Red Sox will always suck.

• drewzducks - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Now you did it. Your mere mention of a Yankee and now it looks like you went trolling and unfortunately hooked a worthless deuche. I’d say throw it back but no one wants it.

• bozosforall - Jun 13, 2012 at 11:00 PM

The only douche I see here is you, drewsuckz

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jun 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM

But you’re here too, bozos. Perhaps you need a mirror.

• drewzducks - Jun 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM

We all know who the queen deuche is on this site Blowzo, you’ve rightfully earned the throne. Nice to see you able to respond without a C-bomb for a change.

3. jasoncollette - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Will the settlement be glazed or chocolate?

• El Bravo - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Nice. I assume they’ll be a filled doughnut of some sort chalk full of crushed-up muscle relaxers…

• illegalblues - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM

amazing

4. Utley's Hair - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Freddy Garcia for $10 million in 2007. 1-5. 5.90. 11 starts. 74 hits in 58 innings. 39 runs, 38 earned, 12 homers. 1.603 WHIP.

5. randygnyc - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

What about the $40 million dollars for pavano from the Yankees?

2005, 6, 7 and 2008 = 9 wins.

• baseballisboring - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Kei Igawa…a total of 71.2 innings in the big leagues, with a 6.66 ERA.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM

You know Mike Hampton was gonna come up.

• syracuse451 - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I guess you could say he was, devilishly bad?

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Carl Crawford isn’t looking too great about now either.

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Oh, Bobby Jinx.

7. deathmonkey41 - Jun 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM

He won’t have to worry about the contract from the Red Sox as soon as his settlement with KFC comes through. His suit claimed that while parked on his couch he put a bucket of Extra Crispy between his legs and while removing the cover, it accidently spilled down his throat- causing third degree expansion of his stomach. Even though this happened on multiple occasions, his attorney claimed that KFC should be held soley responsible because they don’t have to make their chicken so damn delicious.

• bigharold - Jun 13, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Hilarious!!

How can anybody give this a thumbs down?? That’s some funny stuff right there.

8. number42is1 - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:37 PM

two words. kei iguana

9. pisano - Jun 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM

What settlement? Boston rolled the dice and lost, pay the contract in full, that’s the chance all teams take when they sign these free agent players. That’s why they have insurance on these big dollar contracts.

10. drewzducks - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM

He just wants the cash lump sum ASAP. Preferably in singles.

11. dirtyharry1971 - Jun 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM

This is a terrible idea, boston should be trying to extend this guy, not get rid of him. Say its not true! He should be the closer!!

• pisano - Jun 14, 2012 at 12:28 AM

harry, don’t get upset, they still have Lackey coming back as soon as he takes care of his alcohol problem.

12. lja76 - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Really guys???
    Bobby freaking Bonilla!!!
    We are still paying his contract off for atleast 8 more years.

• wendell7 - Jun 14, 2012 at 7:39 AM

winner

13. chiadam - Jun 14, 2012 at 10:17 AM

“Oh, my ERA is 6.32? **** you, pay me.”
    “Oh, my back is a disaster? **** you, pay me.”
    “Oh, I got a DUI and haven’t pitched at all this season? **** you, pay me.”

- Paulie Cicero.