Jun 13, 2012, 9:41 PM EDT
This is hardly a report or even a rumor, but we’ll pass it along anyway. From FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi:
#Tigers interest in free agent Vladimir Guerrero is lukewarm, source says. Not clear if they will pursue him at this point.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) June 13, 2012
The Tigers have stuck with their plan of starting Miguel Cabrera at third base and could maybe fit Vlad into the lineup as a part-time DH. But he’s doubtful to be a significant upgrade over Detroit’s current roster options.
Guerrero was granted his release by the Blue Jays earlier this week after registering an underwhelming .739 OPS and no home runs across 35 plate appearances at Triple-A Las Vegas. The 37-year-old veteran owns a stellar .318/.379/.553 career major league batting line, but he’s barely capable of playing the outfield at this point in his career and could struggle to latch on with another organization.
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 24
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 28
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 46
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (185)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)