Jun 13, 2012, 4:49 PM EST
No. 13 overall pick Courtney Hawkins and the White Sox have agreed to a deal worth the exact slot amount of $2.475 million, according to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune.
Hawkins was committed to play college ball at Texas, but the high school outfielder from Corpus Christi will instead begin his pro career at age 18.
Baseball America ranked Hawkins as the 15th-best player in the draft, while ESPN.com rated him 9th overall and called him “one of the most explosive hitters in this year’s draft, combining brute strength with excellent bat speed for very hard contact.”
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)