Jun 13, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT
No. 13 overall pick Courtney Hawkins and the White Sox have agreed to a deal worth the exact slot amount of $2.475 million, according to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune.
Hawkins was committed to play college ball at Texas, but the high school outfielder from Corpus Christi will instead begin his pro career at age 18.
Baseball America ranked Hawkins as the 15th-best player in the draft, while ESPN.com rated him 9th overall and called him “one of the most explosive hitters in this year’s draft, combining brute strength with excellent bat speed for very hard contact.”
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)