Jun 13, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT
No. 13 overall pick Courtney Hawkins and the White Sox have agreed to a deal worth the exact slot amount of $2.475 million, according to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune.
Hawkins was committed to play college ball at Texas, but the high school outfielder from Corpus Christi will instead begin his pro career at age 18.
Baseball America ranked Hawkins as the 15th-best player in the draft, while ESPN.com rated him 9th overall and called him “one of the most explosive hitters in this year’s draft, combining brute strength with excellent bat speed for very hard contact.”
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45