Jun 13, 2012, 10:38 PM EST
A’s outfielder Yoenis Cespedes was in the Oakland starting lineup on Wednesday for the first time in five days. But now he’s likely headed to the disabled list.
According to MLB.com’s Jane Lee, Cespedes re-aggravated the left hamstring strain that he suffered last Thursday on a groundout to first base in the second inning of Wednesday night’s game against the Rockies. He limped into the dugout and was replaced the next inning by Jonny Gomes.
The A’s medical team was hoping that the initial hamstring strain would simply heal on its own with a little under a week of rest. But that obviously didn’t happen, and Cespedes is almost certain to be placed on the shelf for the second time this season.
The 26-year-old Cuban is batting .273/.336/.485 with six home runs and 26 RBI through the first 36 games of his major league career. He inked a four-year, $36 million contract with the Athletics back in mid-February.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (284)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)