Jun 14, 2012, 2:48 PM EST
Oakland has signed first-round pick Addison Russell, with Jim Callis of Baseball America reporting that the high school shortstop from Florida will get the exact slot figure for the No. 11 pick of $2.625 million.
Prior to the draft Baseball America ranked Russell as the 28th-best player in the class and ESPN.com rated him 19th. Amusingly the BA scouting report compared him to Juan Uribe “for his thick body, arm strength and power potential.”
That was apparently before Russell lost a bunch of weight, but both BA and ESPN cast doubt on his ability to remain at shortstop long term defensively while touting his popat the plate.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 26
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 75
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (103)