Big news! The Tigers recall Ryan Raburn, put Drew Smyly on the DL

Jun 14, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT

Raburn_Ryan

Some shuffling in Detroit today as the Tigers called up Ryan Raburn from Toledo and put pitcher Drew Smyly on the disabled list due to his gross, gross gross blister.

Sure, Tigers fans will say all kinds of things about the Raburn thing because he seems to have replaced Brandon Inge as The Irrational Focus of Passions on that team, but these moves are relatively minor.

I highlight them, however, because for the second straight day we’re suffering from a serious letdown. ¬†Last night, after the game, manager Jim Leyland said, when asked about possible changes with the team “we’ve got a lot going on. If I were you guys, I’d be here¬†early.”

I’m sure the Tigers beat writers were totally jacked to find out that they got to the ballpark early for Ryan Raburn and Drew Smyly.

1. pestiesti - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I think Leyland’s comments were in relation to Fister starting Saturday.

Or he may have just been screwing with the beat writers. That’s actually more likely.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM

If the writers complained, I hope Leyland put out his cigarettes on their foreheads.

3. jboogie72 - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Rayburn is a living example of all that wrong with the Tigers. Although the frustration of Tigers fans goes deeper than Rayburn, Comerica Park is pitchers park, made for a team with speed that hits the balls into gaps and is able to go first to third on a single. The team that continues to be assembled is a slow station to station team that lives and dies on the home run, not to mention the inability to play a lick of defense. Prince Fielder great story, terrible signing, the team needed another starter if not two, the team needed a middle infielder if not 2. The money spent on Prince could of landed multiple guys to help this team(Reyes & C.J Wilson), instead they sign Prince who is by far the worst fielding first basemen I have ever seen. The moves made by DUMBrowski and Leyland are continually head scratchers. For what it’s worth I’m rooting for a 3rd place finish a fired Leyland and staff and career ending injury for Rayburn! Go Royals

• monkeyjuice313 - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I was confused until your last sentence. You being a Royals fan makes so much more sense. If you can’t beat anyone…wish terrible things upon them. GFY, dude. GFY.

• senotonom205 - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I wish people realized that no matter how valid your argument is, you completely invalidate it the moment you stoop to name calling. “Dumbrowski?” Also hoping for career ending injuries to anyone might be the most assine thing anyone can say. Imagine someone hoping for you to be maimed in a way that you can never work again. You are a real class act.

• Steve A - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Heck, it was invalidated with the first word. How people continue to misspell Ryan Raburn’s name is beyond me. This is worse in that the commenter (presumably) just read a post about Raburn where his name appeared once in the title and 3 times in the post.

In regard to the Prince signing, that happened late in the offseason. Reyes and Wilson were long gone, and the Tigers did not indicate they were interested in either of them. Also, Mr. Ilitch said that the idea to sign Fielder only came about because of the injury to V Mart.

• pestiesti - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I’m about 57% percent sure that this is supposed to be a satire of your typical MLive commenting Tigers fan.

• jboogie72 - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Thought maybe the “Go Royals” would give it away.

• aiede - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:17 PM

You mean that speedy singles-hitting team that went to the ALCS last year?

4. jboogie72 - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:18 PM

your right, I hope he gets hit by a bus!

5. scoregasmic - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:05 PM

NOOoOoOOOOoooO not raburn! I thought I was done with that guy :(

6. jboogie72 - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM

no kidding? wasn’t aware signing Prince was in reaction to losing VMart. Christ sakes. BTW sweet base running RAYBURN.

• jboogie72 - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

RABURN

• monkeyjuice313 - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Why didn’t you say nice double, Raburn? Oh, right. Because of the type of person you are. GFY

• jboogie72 - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Ryan is that you?

• jboogie72 - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Bummer. Sweet K! That .152 BA is super awesome… Is that more positive?

• monkeyjuice313 - Jun 15, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Sweet K? Like…Potassium in a banana? Yes, much better, especially since he started the day at .129, or something along those lines.

• Steve A - Jun 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Whatever. You’re no better than the idiot fan you’re mocking. Oooooh, you got me on that one. “Look at how many people fell for my ironic post!!!!!!!”

• monkeyjuice313 - Jun 15, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Isn’t that comment double irony?

Orioles turn AL East on its head