Jun 14, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
Brandon Moss loves him some Coors Field. The new Athletics first baseman hit his fourth homer of the series in Colorado and doubled twice Thursday as part of an 8-2 win over the Rockies.
Ross has now played in eight games, starting seven of them, since being called up by the A’s earlier this month. In 26 at-bats, he has seven hits: five homers and the two doubles today.
Prior to the callup, Moss had totaled 15 homers in 678 major league at-bats. He received his most extensive action with the Pirates in 2009 and hit .236 with seven homers in 385 at-bats. It took him nearly 2 1/2 years to earn another real opportunity, and the A’s might have waited longer to give him a chance if not for his June 15 opt out of his minor league deal. Now it looks like he’ll get a long look as the team’s starting first baseman.
Before wrapping this one up, I should also note here that Moss isn’t the only player doing nothing but collecting extra-base hits this year; Adrian Cardenas, an A’s castoff, has five hits in 32 at-bats for the Cubs so far, all of them doubles.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 20
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 8
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 37
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (109)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save