Jun 14, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Earlier this week Scott Rolen indicated that he’d prefer not to go on a minor-league rehab assignment before returning from the disabled list, but apparently the Reds have talked him into playing a few games at Triple-A.
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Rolen will begin his rehab stint tomorrow and spend the weekend in Louisville, at which point the Reds will likely activate him from the DL if there hasn’t been a setback.
And that’s far from a sure thing, as Rolen has a lengthy history of shoulder problems that have derailed his career several times and hasn’t played since May 11. In fact, his latest shoulder injury was so bad and Rolen is so sick of dealing with the discomfort that there was initially some speculation that he might simply call it quits.
Instead he’ll do some rehab and give it one last try after hitting just .174 in 29 games before being shut down. Todd Frazier has a .900 OPS filling in at third base, so in theory at least Rolen shouldn’t be guaranteed playing time.
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 18
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 61
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 22
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 6
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm