Jun 14, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
UPDATE: That was fast. According to Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Morton had Tommy John surgery today in Pensacola, Florida. He will miss the rest of the season and figures to be in rehab-mode for the early part of 2013.
11:51 PM: Charlie Morton has been on the disabled list since late May with an elbow injury and now the Pirates fear the right-hander may need season-ending Tommy John surgery.
Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports that Morton was working his way back from the DL when he “tweaked” his elbow during a bullpen session Sunday, at which point the Pirates shut him down again and sent him to be examined by a specialist.
Morton was a pleasant surprise last season, starting 29 games with a 3.83 ERA for his first sustained big-league success at age 28, but this year the extreme ground-baller has been sidelined first by hip surgery and now by what may prove to be significant elbow problems.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 36
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)