Derek Lowe on Dusty Baker: “I have zero respect for the guy”

Jun 14, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT

Cleveland Indians v Cincinnati Reds Getty Images

In last night’s Reds-Indians game, Cleveland starter Derek Lowe was brushed back with a mid-90s fastball from Mat Latos. Not something you see happen to a pitcher very often, especially when there were no plunkings of other shenanigans previously. Which, in this game or series, there was not. So what gives?

After the game MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian asked Derek Lowe about it and he gave a long, expletive-filled but ultimately not-very-forthcoming explanation, alluding to some years-old bad blood between Reds manager Dusty Baker and himself:

After the game, Lowe insinuated that Baker has been instructing his pitchers to throw at him for the past five seasons due to a grudge that dates to Lowe’s final year with the Dodgers in 2008.

“Dusty will deny it,” Lowe said. “I have zero respect for the guy — not that it matters. I imagine he’d say the same about me” … The 39-year-old Cleveland starter hinted at an incident that was never made public during his time in Los Angeles, but he was not willing to offer up specific details.

Baker was gone after all of the media at the game became aware of what Lowe said, so he had no response.  Hopefully we’ll learn more today, but Lowe repeated several times that Baker will, as he always has before, pretend that he doesn’t know what Lowe is talking about.  Lowe does, though, but he’s not saying.

This is delicious. In fact, it’s more delicious that we don’t know the reason for the bad blood.  Was it a woman? I bet it was a woman. It’s a crazy love triangle, with Lowe in the Gatsby role and Dusty as Tom Buchanan. Marty Brennaman as Nick Carroway. I haven’t figured out the women yet. Hopefully Bastian or Reds MLB.com guy Mark Sheldon will ask Dusty about it today.

1. xpensivewinos - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Not a Dusty Baker fan by any stretch of the imagination, but Derek Lowe seems to have proven himself to be a pretty big douche bag in his own right over the years. Looks like we’ve got a draw here…..

• Roger Moore - Jun 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM

No draw. If Dusty is actually ordering his pitchers to throw at Lowe, he takes the prize for biggest douche. Nothing Lowe did justifies having pitchers threaten to injure him. That’s especially true because:

1) Lowe is with a different team now, so the regular rules about tit for tat don’t really apply and

2) It’s a horseshit move because Dusty will never have to put his own body on the line to face potential repercussions.

• drewsylvania - Jun 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM

What about the DUI?

2. kscott91685 - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I’d say the woman is Dallas Latos.

3. El Bravo - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:53 AM

BRO DOWN!

• El Bravo - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:54 AM

4. manute - Jun 14, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Dusty responds! From John Fay:

Here’s what Baker said:

“He had some words for me. I really didn’t want to make a public thing or a public spectacle. He’s the one who brought it up. He had some choice words for me. I really don’t care if he respects me. It doesn’t matter.

“No. 1, you’ve got to ask him why he hit Joey Votto in the back two years ago. Yesterday, he took exception to a ball inside that didn’t hit him, then hit Brandon Phillips after that.

“I’m not denying nothing. I didn’t order anyone to hit him. I told (Mat Latos) to buzz him and make him uncomfortable. That’s what happened. Nobody hit him. Then he hit our guy.

“What he was talking about was something that he said and did a few years. You got to ask him what that was. You got a lot people involved in the situation that didn’t need to be involved in the situation. It didn’t come from there.

“Go ask him since he made it public. Understand what I’m saying. I’ll let it rest at that since he’s such a big man running his mouth talking about himself.”

It really got ugly when a reporter asked Baker if it bother him when a player says he doesn’t respect you?

“Man, I don’t care,” Baker said. A lot of people don’t respect me. He don’t respect himself. The word was whatever he did and said probably there was a good chance he was drinking at the ballpark and he don’t remember what he said or what he did. OK.

“When he said I shook my finger at him to say I didn’t have nothing to do with it. It wasn’t to say I didn’t have anything to do with it. It was to say: Don’t mess with me or my team. That’s what that means. He better learn sign language. OK.

“I’m done with it.”

• delawarephilliesfan - Jun 14, 2012 at 10:44 AM

“I didn’t order anyone to hit him.”

Nats GM Mike Rizzo later told the press Dusty Baker is “the most gut-full, free of Chicken-S**t” person he has seen in 30 years of baseball

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Huh?

Or because he pitches for an AL team and we’re an NL team, and the likelihood of us facing each other again is a long shot…

5. hoopmatch - Jun 14, 2012 at 11:18 AM

English teacher baseball fans everywhere are disappointed with Dusty Baker after reading his quotes.

6. ih1357 - Jun 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM

@ church

Lowe will face them next week when Cincy goes to Cleveland

• hasbeen5 - Jun 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM

But he won’t bat in the AL park

7. paperlions - Jun 14, 2012 at 12:04 PM

So then….why did Baker tell Latos to “buzz him”? Without some other explanation, which Baker fails to give, it would seem that this incident is related to whatever happened before and it was Baker that can’t let it go since he is ordering his pitchers to “buzz him”.

I’m putting my money on Lowe saying that his dad could beat up Baker’s dad

8. manhandler1 - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM

As a Giants fan, used to like Baker. But now, with him shooting his mouth off about that thug Cueto, I have no respect. Cueto kicked the opposing catcher in the face during a bench clearing brawl between the Reds and the Cardinals with his baseball spikes up by his eys, splitting his face open and ending Jason LaRues career. Up till then it had just been pushing and shoving. Cueto should be in prison for assault and battery. What a creep.

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. J. Hammel (2488)