Jun 14, 2012, 8:23 AM EST
Most no-hitters or perfect games have that one moment when you just know, yep, it’s happening. I’d guess that those who saw Matt Cain‘s perfecto live last night will point to Gregor Blanco’s catch of Jordan Schafer’s drive in the seventh inning as that moment:
The GIF comes via Grant Brisbee at McCovey Chronicles, who has cataloged 50 awesome things about the Cain no-no. You can watch the play with the broadcaster’s call here. Go to the 1:20 mark or so to hear the Spanish language broadcast. I don’t know exactly what he’s saying, but he uses the word “Superman!” which I think is totally apt here. Right center in AT&T Park is gigantor, and Blanco just tracked that baby down and then flew to it.
The same Blanco who was a minor league invite in the offseason and was competing for the 25th-man-on-the-roster gig. I think he earned it.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)