Gregor Blanco’s ridiculous catch helped preserve Cain’s perfecto

Jun 14, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT

Most no-hitters or perfect games have that one moment when you just know, yep, it’s happening. I’d guess that those who saw Matt Cain‘s perfecto live last night will point to Gregor Blanco’s catch of Jordan Schafer’s drive in the seventh inning as that moment:

source:

The GIF comes via Grant Brisbee at McCovey Chronicles, who has cataloged 50 awesome things about the Cain no-no.  You can watch the play with the broadcaster’s call here. Go to the 1:20 mark or so to hear the Spanish language broadcast. I don’t know exactly what he’s saying, but he uses the word “Superman!” which I think is totally apt here.  Right center in AT&T Park is gigantor, and Blanco just tracked that baby down and then flew to it.

The same Blanco who was a minor league invite in the offseason and was competing for the 25th-man-on-the-roster gig.  I think he earned it.

1. purnellmeagrejr - Jun 14, 2012 at 8:31 AM

nice grab.

• Old Gator - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Sorry Craig, the Spanish broadcast was a discount tire ad – you know, just the kind of thing that Ralph Nader was so pissed off about….

2. stex52 - Jun 14, 2012 at 8:37 AM

There was a curious coincidence for me here. I saw Mike Scott no-hit the Giants at the Astrodome in 1986. Kevin Bass made a very similar sort of grab in centerfield to preserve the no-hitter. Not quite as spectacular as this one, though.

Congratulations to Cain. I think the level of play at MLB is such that every no-hitter requires some fielder to step up with some really great play. That just adds more to the quality of the game.

• Old Gator - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Hey stex52, do you think we could sell a bunch of “Hey, it was the Astros, man” T-shirts in Houston? I got some seed money.

• stex52 - Jun 14, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Maybe we could do it in Spanish and tell half of the population it says “Go, Astros! World Series Bound!”

Unfortunately the other half is pretty serious about their baseball and would be able to read the T-shirts. My grandson, for one.

On a heavier note, it might sell. There is a lot of despair in the baseball community here, probably more than is warranted by the fact that the Astros have actually risen to the level of mediocre to date. The other item is all those fools that think football is a real sport and are gearing up for the Texans’ season. They would probablly buy it.

3. heyblueyoustink - Jun 14, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Bryce Harper would have made that catch behind his back.

• ravenscaps48 - Jun 14, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Hahaha

• number42is1 - Jun 14, 2012 at 9:08 AM

“that’s a clown catch bro!”
      -Bryce Harper

4. sdelmonte - Jun 14, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Hey, when did the Giants start wearing uniforms without names? I like the look, but my brain immediately screamed “#7? Mickey Mantle?”

I love how there is often that one guy you’ve never heard of and who might never do anything amazing again who gets that one moment to save the game. Mike Baxter will probably never amount to much, but he will forever be the guy who sacrificed his shoulder for Johan’s no-no. Same now for Blanco, but without the injury.

• hasbeen5 - Jun 14, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Why the hell would you think Mickey Mantle in a Giants uniform?

• sdelmonte - Jun 14, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Because I saw a naked 7. Only one team in my memory never uses names. The Yankees.

• Old Gator - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:32 PM

“Mickey Mantle” was just his nickname. His real name was Number Seven. Any Borg fan knows that.

• hasbeen5 - Jun 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM

When I read my comment, it looks more harsh than I meant it to be. I was imagining some old timer fans of both teams being shocked at the thought of Mantle in the other uni.

• willsolo - Jun 14, 2012 at 6:01 PM

You do know that the Red Sox also don’t use names on their home jerseys, right?

• sonoco - Jun 15, 2012 at 10:12 AM

FYI, the Giants haven’t had names on the backs of their home jerseys since they moved to the new yard in 2000.

• sdelmonte - Jun 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Boy am I behind the times.

5. chumthumper - Jun 14, 2012 at 10:52 AM

If it wasn’t for spectacular catches, there would be no no-hitters. You can look it up.

• stex52 - Jun 14, 2012 at 10:58 AM

That’s always been my read on the situation.

• Old Gator - Jun 14, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Stumbling out of the box on an infield roller contributes hugely too. Just not sexy enough to draw the same kind of attention.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3713)