Jun 14, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Joe Torre has served as MLB’s executive vice president for baseball operations since retiring as Dodgers manager in late 2010–with a brief break while he pursued ownership of the team–but the 71-year-old future Hall of Famer has decided to take on another managing gig.
Torre has been chosen as Team USA’s manager for the World Baseball Classic in March of 2013. Four years ago Davey Johnson managed the WBC team along with a star-studded coaching staff that included Mike Schmidt, Barry Larkin, Mel Stottlemyre, Billy Ripken, Reggie Smith, and Marcel Lachemann.
No word yet on who will be on Torre’s staff and presumably the WBC job won’t lead to Torre following in Johnson’s footsteps by eventually becoming an MLB manage again, but if anyone is well-equipped to manager a team full of All-Stars it’s certainly Torre. He managed 29 seasons for the Mets, Cardinals, Braves, Yankees and Dodgers, winning four World Series titles and two manager of the year awards.
Team USA finished in fourth place under Johnson in 2009 and tied for sixth place under manager Buck Martinez in 2006, with Team Japan winning both tournaments.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 5
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 56
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 57
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)